Monday, March 10, 2008

Snow Day

It freakin' SNOWED Friday night, the first snowfall we've seen in the Mid-South all year. That's the kind of crazy weather we have down South ... the temperatures stay in the 50s mostly all winter, and then it decides to snow in March. Crazy!

Everything shuts down around here when it snows, so I stayed in. Plus, I don't have much experience driving on ice. I left work early before things got too bad outside. On the way home, I rented Stardust (cute movie!) and Rent and made a giant bowl of popcorn. After the movie, I decided to bake a chocolate rum pecan pie. After all, what else is there to do when you're stranded inside your house? Besides, I had a huge freezer bag full of pecans from my Uncle Dale's pecan farm.



I call it "Dark Chocolate Tipsy Pecan Pie," and I'm going to use the recipe in my cookbook. So I can't share the recipe here, but it was pretty tasty. Very sweet. The crust was made using whole wheat pastry flour and coconut oil, but I think next time, I'll use non-hydrogenated shortening instead. The crust wasn't as flaky as it should have been.



This morning, I drove to Kroger and bought some Purely Decadant Turtle Trail soy cream (vanilla with a caramel ribbon and chocolate covered praline pecans) to eat with the leftover pie. Oh my god, it so amazingly good that way. My mom also brought me some Bitch-Tastic Brownies that she made from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, and they're heavenly. I've been eating them with the soy cream too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god that pie looks so good.

I LOVED the snow! I left work early on Friday, and I'm so glad I did. About an hour after I got home, I looked outside and couldn't see the end of my driveway it was so white out!

I'm sorry you're going to miss the Meatout - I'm going to try to make it.

I'm going to a meeting tomorrow night where they're serving a meal... pork chops! Yeah, I already told them I'd be bringing my own food. I guess I'm going to have to get used to taking my own food with me places!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

LOL I love the name! And I just read your Vegnews article last night! I was so excited; I was like, "I know her!"

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You're so sweet :o). I love reading your blog! How are you enjoying the snow? All ours is melted (it melted the day after, when it was once again 70 degrees!).

The flowers on the cupcakes are made of fondant. I think fondant is vegan, but I take it off before eating my cupcakes because:
A. it has fully-hydrogenated oil and
B. it tastes gross!

It's so fun to work with, though-- it's like edible clay!