Thursday, November 10, 2022

Kitchari, Bhel Puri, and a Vegan Wedding Feast

After a weekend with my friend Greg, who was visiting from Kentucky, I needed a detox. We ate so much vegan junk food and drank one two many beers and cocktails. So I made kitchari — the ultimate detox food. This was the Vegetable Kitchari from Plant-Based India, which had cabbage and carrots. Really good and wholesome. I had it with papadum and mixed pickle. I love Indian food so much!

Speaking of Indian food, I picked up a Bhel Puri kit at the local Indian market. It had the bhel puri mix and four individual packets of tamarind chutney. And then you just add fresh veggies. I used boiled potatoes, cucumber, and onion. I've been enjoying this as my morning snack all week.

I had some leftover tofu puffs from mine and Greg's fondue night (they make great fondue dippers), so I used them in a Tofu Puff Stir-fry with chard from my neighbors' garden. 

And finally, my friend Laura got married last weekend, and though she is not vegan, her wedding buffet was loaded with vegan options! I saw "vegan options" on the invite, but I assumed that meant maybe one dish. But no, I had veggie jambalaya, roasted okra and tomatoes, marinated mushrooms, and roasted potatoes with Brussels. So good!! I even went back for seconds. I had a half-marathon race the next morning, and this was a change from my usual pre-race pasta. So I was a little worried how that would affect my gut, but it was fine! And I PR'd the heck out of that race, so maybe I need to find a vegan-friendly wedding before every race.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

This all sounds delicious, and congrats on that PR! Hope all is well with you- you're not usually absent for this long.