Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Review: Myprotein Vegan Protein Bar

It's no secret that I'm a sucker for a vegan protein product. Powders, bars, cookies — if it's got a high percentage of added vegan protein, I'm in.

As I've moved into whole foods, I've tried to forgo the powders and bars. But I've found that my body recovers better after workouts when I have more protein. I don't think protein supplements are necessary for people with sedentary or moderately active lifestyles; whole foods should serve you just fine. But when you're trying to gain muscle and recover quickly between hard workouts, I've found that extra protein works.

A few months ago, a friend gifted me a couple bags of Myvegan protein powders (in chocolate and vanilla), and I've been adding those to my smoothies on occasion (rotating between those and my tried-and-true unflavored Complement Plus protein). When Myprotein reached out to me about reviewing their new Myvegan Mocha Protein Bars, I already knew they'd be great!


And they are! They use their signature vegan protein blend (made from brown rice and pea) for these mocha-flavored bars. I always prefer a chocolate-coated bar over a plain bar — for obvious reasons!


The texture is smooth and candy bar-like, and the coffee flavor blends well with the creamy chocolate. These bars taste like dessert, but they're packed with 15 grams of protein and 23 grams of carbs. They're a little lower-carb than what I shoot for after a run, but they're perfect to enjoy before or after a tough gym session. My gym, Envision Memphis, has been offering daily at-home virtual fitness classes, and I've been getting in 2-3 of those workouts in per week, on top of my daily running schedule. So I've been downing a lot of these bars lately!

Myprotein (and Myvegan) has all kinds of athletic supplements, from whole food fuel blends and BCAAs to B12 and D3 supplements. Their protein powders come in fun flavors like cacao orange, blueberry cinnamon, and turmeric latte!

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Wow, those bars look just like a candy bar!I've tried a few vegan protein bars, and haven't really been a fan. But I would definitely try these, thanks for the review!