Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Father's Day Fried Rice!

Since my parents are in the high-risk age group, I'm always extra-careful before I go visit them. I plan visits by self-isolating for 14 days just to make sure I'm not an asymptomatic carrier of coronavirus. So two weeks before the Friday before Father's Day, I stopped leaving my house for groceries or takeout (and I asked Paul to stay in Nashville for that time since he works with the public every day). I did continue my outdoor runs and bike rides during this time, but I avoided people (and the risk of contracting COVID on solo outdoor workouts is pretty darn low).

My parents and I celebrated Father's Day last Friday, and it was so nice to FINALLY get out and go somewhere. My parents live an hour away in Arkansas, so I took the day off work and drove down mid-day.


I love my dad!! He's pretty much the coolest person I know. He rides a Harley. He drinks whiskey and moonshine. He can cook anything (even amazing vegan food!) and fix anything. The only rules he follows are his own. Daddy taught me to question authority and never trust the system. He’s so punk rock! He also taught me to value of striving for perfection in everything you do. If you're going to do something, give it 100% and no less. And if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Speaking of moonshine, here's an old picture my mom recently found of my dad as a kid, holding a bottle of moonshine. Never change.


We celebrated Father's Day with a late lunch/early dinner of Smoked Tofu Veggie Stir-fry, Fried Brown Rice, and Veggie Spring Rolls. My mom did all the cooking this time! Both of my parents are excellent cooks, and sometimes, dinner is a team effort. But since it was Daddy's special day, Mama made everything. Well, except Daddy did smoke some tofu in advance of our meal. 


For the rice, Mama added Just Egg, and it was perfect! I haven't had fried rice in ages, and now I want more of this.

For dessert, Mama thawed out a Vegan Lemon Icebox Pie that she froze after our Mother's Day celebration. Tasted just as good as the day it was made! And it was perfect with a dollop of coco whip.


As for gifts, I got Daddy some more of his favorite Harley socks (the only kind he wears), and I picked up a hard-to-find bottle of Duke whiskey (one of his faves). It was a great day!


2 comments:

Susan said...

Happy father's day to your dad! We don't have father's day here until September, but it is my dad's birthday next week so I am planning a special dinner for him.
I have been really enjoying fried rice lately, it is very quick to make (as long as you have the rice ready) and very yummy to eat.

Hillary said...

I always love hearing about your parents, they sound really special!! I love all the delicious vegan food they make too!
Fried rice with just egg is really fun, it looks so real!