Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Some Bowls I Ate

Now that the Health Made Simple meal plan is over, I'm finding the healthiest way for me to eat day to day is BOWLS! All you need is a bean, a grain, and a green (and a sauce!), and you've got yourself the quickest, healthiest, and IMO, tastiest meal.

Here are a few bowls I've eaten over the past week. This super-fancy bowl is a recipe from the original No Meat Athlete book (not the cookbook, but the health book with a few recipes — it was recently updated and re-released btw). It's Hawaiian Luau Beans & Rice, and it was so great! A mix of black beans, red cabbage, yellow pepper, and spinach is served over brown rice mixed with toasted coconut. And it's topped off with grilled pineapple rings. Such a treat!


But most of my bowls aren't that fancy. Here's one I made over the weekend with buffalo chickpeas (just chickpeas tossed with hot sauce and garlic powder), sauteed broccoli and squash, quinoa, and cashew ranch. 


And here's another with the same sauteed broccoli and squash over quinoa, but this time, I used Great Northern Beans, tahini sauce (just tahini mixed with nooch, soy sauce, and water), and sriracha. Topped with sesame seeds and Everything But the Bagel seasoning.


Yesterday for lunch, I had a bowl with quinoa, steamed kale, white beans, and tahini sauce, but I forgot to take a pic.

I'm even eating bowls when I dine out! Last night, my parents came over and we picked up takeout in Crosstown Concourse. They were craving Impossible Burgers so they got food to-go from Farm Burger, and I got the Curry Chickpea Bowl from the cafe at Crosstown Arts. This mouth-watering Indian-style curry was made with coconut milk and served atop red rice with a side of grilled pita. By the way, my takeout was served in a takeout box, but here's a pic I snapped earlier in the day of the dish coming out of the kitchen (I manage the social media for the cafe, so I take lots of food pics for work now!).



4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ooooh yes, bowls for the win!! They all look incredible but wow, that Luau bowl!!! I definitely need some of that in my life!

Barb said...

They all look good but I want the Hawaiian one!

Hillary said...

I kind of love bowls for the same reason. I think like eighty to ninety percent of my meals are bowl meals. An for me it's all about the sauce!


Ali said...

For a long time, I was anti bowl, not at restaurants, but when it came to cooking at home. But...ultimately it’s such a healthy way to put a meal together and I just gave in!