Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sugar, Sugar

If you saw yesterday's post, you might have noticed that, although I enjoyed most of the foods I wasn't supposed to eat during my 21-day Crazy Sexy Diet cleanse, something was missing. Sugar!!! I did have oats sweetened with Ricemallow Cream for breakfast yesterday, but that hardly counts as dessert.

But I made up for that today with this steamy mug of Hot Chocolate from the Happy Herbivore 2012 calendar:

Seeing as how this is a Happy Herbivore recipe, it's still pretty healthy. But it does contain some melted chocolate chips along with soymilk (I used flax milk, more on that in a later post), cocoa powder (I used raw cacao powder), agave, cinnamon, and a pinch of cayenne for a spicy Mexican flair. I topped it with a few Dandies vegan marshmallows. My office is freezing all the time (even when it's 60 degrees outside like today), so this hot chocolate was the perfect late afternoon warm-up.

My dad ordered me the Happy Herbivore calendar for Christmas. In the past couple of years, I've had Sarah Kramer's wall calendar, and I've made every recipe of the month. I intend to do the same with the HH calendar. So stay tuned for monthly pictures of Lindsay Nixon's mouthwatering, healthy recipes.

9 comments:

Sasha Cohen said...

I've never tried Ricemallow Cream ... just googled it.. I hope my Whole Foods has it!!

The FI Witch said...

Neat but FLAX MILK!? :O
Do you make it yourself? If so TEACH US YOUR SECRETS! :D

xvavaveganx said...

That hot chocolate looks so good! I haven't had hot chocolate in so long, I really need to try making some soon. Especially since I don't drink coffee anymore (sad!!). I'm also intrigued by the flax milk, definitely will be looking forward to reading about that!

Unknown said...

this looks SO good!!

i've been following your blog for a while and i have picked you to earn a Versatile Blogger award :)  
go check it out:
http://crazymomma-randompandemonium.blogspot.com/2012/01/im-versatile.html

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

I am curious to see how you think flaxmilk tastes. I was kind of afraid to try it!

Re: your comment on my blog,
Those Ranch chips aren't vegan. They were the product with dairy in it that Lollihop accidentally sent to me. I ate one of them, it was delicious, then double checked the bag to make sure I wasn't dreaming that there were vegan ranch doritos.

Jennifer M. said...

Oh, that looks soooooo good. I'm in a funk today - I would really love a vat of that hot chocolate and a stack of John Hughes movies to watch...

Sondra said...

After my 21 Whole Living Magazine detox ended Sunday night, ,that was the first sugar/chocolate thing I had on Monday morning-- but mine was the real deal from Starbucks, not healthy. What can you tell be about cacao powder vs. traditional unsweetened choco in powder form, is there more caffeine in the cacao powder? Can you use it in the same measurements in recipes? Out of all the things that were banned for the 21 days, chocolate is what I whined for.

Leslie Richman said...

Yum!

Lilah J B said...

Looks good!