Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Crazy Sexy Day Three

In the Crazy Sexy Diet book, Kris Carr warns that day three might be tough. She said some people start to feel detox symptoms by now and others may get a little discouraged by the lack of sweets and coffee. But day three was pretty easy for me, especially since I got to dine out at my favorite restaurant, Imagine Vegan Cafe.

Breakfast was another glass of Make Juice, Not War — kale, celery, cucumber, pear, romaine, ginger, and zucchini (substituted for the broccoli stems) — juiced in my Jack LaLanne juicer:

By around 10:30 a.m., I was starving. So I had a slice of gluten-free Food for Life Pecan Bread with Avocado. Avocado on toast is one of my favorite snacks, but this xgfx toast is so tiny! I could have eaten three of these:

Lunch was I Am Loved Nori Rolls from Crazy Sexy Diet — veggie sushi with avocado, sprouts, cucumber, carrot, and tahini:

And a side of Ginger-Lemongrass Soup, a miso broth infused with lemongrass and topped with enoki mushrooms and scallions. This is also from Crazy Sexy Diet:

I had a gym class at 5:30 p.m., so I got a little energy boost from two Lundberg Brown Rice Cakes with Garlic Hummus and Carrot Sticks. Don't mind my messy desk in the background:

I also had a teensy square of Sweetriot 85% Dark Chocolate in the mid-afternoon. Carr warns not to eat chocolate everyday on the cleanse since it does contain sugar. But she recommends people choose dark chocolate over other sweet indulgences.

On every Wednesday night since May, my friends and I have dined at Imagine Vegan Cafe, Memphis' only vegan restaurant. They specialize in comfort food, and nearly every menu item is gluten-based. But I didn't want to take a break from our tradition for my cleanse. So I went to Imagine and ordered the Veggie Plate with Broccoli, Brown Rice, and Black Beans:

And a Salad with their homemade Vegan Ranch:

Normally, I'd be ordering vegan chicken fried steak or fried eggplant parm. But as plain as my veggie plate was in comparison, it was actually very satisfying.

Bonus: While at Imagine, we ran into a sweet couple from Belgium. They were in town for Elvis Week (the King's birthday is this week, and people flock to Memphis from all over the world), and they found Imagine through my Vegan Memphis Dining Guide. How cool!

7 comments:

Sasha Cohen said...

I eat Brown Rice Food For Life Bread as my go-to bread... I have celiac and found it's the best gluten free one out there! Love it!n Your sushi looks delish too.
Best,
Sasha from Kale With Love

Chef Amber Shea said...

You're really making me want to do this cleanse. I have the book, but never seriously tried the cleanse...maybe I should do that at some point in 2012. (I say that as I sit here finishing my second cup of coffee...)

PS - broccoli stem juice is SO NASTY! Good call on subbing in something else. :P

Anonymous said...

wow all the amazing food is making me consider the cleanse. I am glad you stuck to your cleanse when eating out even though you may have been tempted by the other fried choices. Have a great day!!

bitt said...

You are reminding me of the great recipes in there I haven't tried yet. I LOVE miso soup and I think it would be great with lemongrass.

Glad you found something at the local vegan spot. Eating out can be hard if you are trying to eat really healthy stuff only, there's so many hidden oils, sugars, etc.

Lauren said...

i totally respect you for doing this cleanse!! i think its a great way to detoxify yourself after the holiday season and the recipes you've been making make it look so easy! i love reading about your journey on the cleanse!

Erin said...

This looks like a super tasty day of food, all around!

The Preppy Vegan said...

Do you think the cleanse is easier on you because you're already vegan?