Monday, January 16, 2012

Crazy Sexy Day Fifteen

I was off work for Martin Luther King Day! So I enjoyed all kinds of Crazy Sexy Diet-approved recipes from home. Breakfast was another green juice, the Urban Zen Juice from Crazy Sexy Diet. It's made with cucumbers, Granny Smith and Fuji apples, fennel, yellow peppers, spinach, ginger, romaine, and celery:

About an hour after juicing, I had a bowl of Food for Life Sprouted Grain Almond Cereal with Sol sunflower seed milk. But Maynard, our rescued puppy and the newest addition to our furry brood, hoped to score a bite before I could get one. And Gelfling, our mischievous black kitty, is contemplating pouncing on Maynard's head:

Lunch was leftovers of Kristen Suzanne's Harvest Soup from Crazy Sexy Diet and some Tomato-Basil Flatbread from Pure Pleasures. I made the soup last night to come out of my juice fast. It's made from blended raw zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, celery, dates, onion powder, and coriander. You can also find that recipe here on Kristen's Raw.

For each day of my 21-day cleanse, the Crazy Sexy Diet book has an assigned reading with a daily focus, prayers, affirmations, and tips for the day. Today's focus was forgiveness, and Kris Carr suggests making a trail mix and calling it Forgiveness Mix. You're supposed to think about letting go of grudges while you eat it. Mine has goji berries, cacao nibs, goldenberries, mulberries, cashews, almonds, and pepitas!

I also snacked on a Brown Rice Cake with White Bean Dip from Colleen Patrick Goudreau's Vegan's Daily Companion. It's made with cannelini beans, cilantro, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Creamy and delicious!

I went to the gym for a box aerobics class at 6 p.m. and then came home to this Salad with Raw Ranch Dressing. The recipe, made from cashews and fresh herbs, is included in Crazy Sexy Diet, but since it's from the lovely Gena Hamshaw, you can also find it here on her blog, Choosing Raw.

I also had one of the most sinful recipes in Crazy Sexy DietOlive Quesadillas. I say they're sinful because they're made with Daiya Cheese, and even though I'm guessing that counts as a processed food, Kris Carr recommends this recipe on the cleanse. And if it's good enough for Kris, it's definitely good enough for me. God, I've missed Daiya these past two weeks.

I used a gluten-free Food for Life Brown Rice Tortilla. Besides Daiya, the quesadilla is stuffed with kalamata olives, caramelized onions (made without sugar), and roasted red pepper. This is definitely a recipe I'll make over and over, and that's not something I say often.

8 comments:

Caz said...

hey bianca! i've been seeing so many cleanses on blogs lately but you seem to be doing one without it being ridiculously expensive! it's inspiring :) do you have a juicer you use or recommend?

PaganAngel said...

I've been wondering how those quesadillas fit into the diet as well...and drooling over the idea. I gotta pick up some daiya and give them a try!

Shannon said...

I really need to work more juice and green smoothies into my life!

Bianca said...

Caz, I have a Jack Lalanne juicer and I love it!! But the cleanse has been pretty expensive compared to how I normally shop. I've been going broke on produce for juicing, especially for my Sunday juice fasts.

Anonymous said...

I love Maynard! He's so cute, and a very lucky boy to have joined your family!

Sheridan said...

What an adorable pic of Maynard! I can't wait to meet him! The food looks tasty! I definitely want to try those quesadillas.

Leslie Richman said...

I am eating some Harvest Soup right now- yum!!

Michele said...

I want to do this so badly- I'm moving soon, though, and I feel like it'll be easier once I'm settled. Nothing like trying to juice in the AM when half your stuff is packed :)

And as far as "restriction" goes, I don't look at not eating meat as a "restriction." I actually eat a MUCH more varied diet since swearing off meat. I'm a more creative cook, I'm a better cook, and I'm healthier.

I don't look at my diet as restrictive because I don't miss meat. I don't miss feeling sluggish and heavy, I don't miss the congestion and I don't miss the high price tag on meat (especially organic) at the grocery. I don't smoke for similar reasons- but I've also never looked at that as a "restriction."

Lots of people do temporary diets or cleanses, just because we ALL live in a world that's pretty hard on our bodies. Not all of these programs would be healthful (or pleasurable) in the long term, but there's something to be said for giving the body a break occasionally. Everything in moderation- even moderation :)