Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Cafe Ole

Two restaurant recaps in one week! I've been eating out a lot lately thanks to a sudden increase in social obligations. Last night, that obligation was Girl's Night Dinner with my friends Misti, Holley, and Maggie. We met on the spacious courtyard patio at my favorite Mexican joint — Cafe Ole in the Cooper-Young Historic District.

Here's Misti and I, anxiously awaiting our food. We were starving:

My photo of Maggie came out all blurry, but here's Holley lookin' cool in her shades:

Of course, we started with a pitcher of Strawberry Margaritas:

These icy cocktails are so fantastic for sipping on the Cafe Ole patio during this crazy Memphis heat. The margaritas are spiked with real chunks of strawberry, and they're just the right balance of tangy and sweet.

Cafe Ole offers several vegetarian and easily veganized options. Veg dishes are clearly marked with a green "vegetarian," and though most contain cheese, the cooks are more than happy to leave it off. My faves include the Veggie Taco (it has bean sprouts!), the Veggie Burrito, and the Cozumel (pictured here):

The Cozumel is two enchiladas — one with spinach and mushrooms and the other with black beans — smothered in tomatillo sauce. The dish is served with a small guacamole salad and the best Mexican rice ever:

Cafe Ole's Mexican rice is lightly seasoned, and the texture of the rice is always perfect. Though I prefer brown rice at home, I don't mind splurging on white rice when I'm dining out.

Cafe Ole is located at 959 S. Cooper St. Call 901-274-1504 or go to their website here.

13 comments:

T said...

That tomatillo sauce looks divine! So do the margaritas, que fresca!

Eric said...

Hmm never had a Cozumel before, looks enticing. And I rarely get to eat mexican rice since its usually not veg but good to know i can here if we ever make it back through Memphis.

Millie said...

great food and a happy reunion ...priceless.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

The Voracious Vegan said...

Your restaurant reviews always make me hungry - and jealous! We have a serious lack of decent restaurants in this part of the world. Everything is fast food and...less than good.

I would have to order those Cozumel enchiladas because I adore tomatillo sauce. It looks so fresh and vibrant and with an icy pitcher of those strawberry margaritas, what more could you ask for? Yum!

Vegan In The VI said...

Nothing like a pitcher of Margaritas.

jess_fildespages said...

Those enchiladas look fantastic! I was in mexico once and tried to eat everything I could with that sauce! They must have been perfect with the margaritas!

Erin said...

I wish that type of enchilada dish was on menus around here! Looks fantastic.

Carissa said...

That meal looks soooo good! I love mexican, and I LOVE green enchilada sauce. Lots of guacamole too of course.

Belle said...

I've lived in Memphis for 6 years and have never been to Cafe Ole... I really want to go now!

dreaminitvegan said...

YUM! Friends, margarita's and good food....the best of times!!!

Melly Kay said...

I love Cafe Ole!!!

Leslie Richman said...

Ahhh looks good!

Debra said...

Bring me the margaritas!
Blessings, Debra
Vegan Diet Video
My Blog