Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Typical Vegan Southern Meal

Quick post tonight about a few cookbook dishes that I've posted about before. I'm in the testing phase so sorry for the repeats. But I like to post yummy food pics daily, even if some of you may have seen them before. Hope you don't mind.

I actually made this meal on Sunday since the main dish — Creamy Squash Casserole — takes quite some time to bake in the oven:

This is a veganized version of one of my Granny's delicious squash casseroles. She has several variations, some with cheese and some without. This version didn't originally contain cheese so it was easy to veganize. I used fresh summer squash from Dodson Farms at the Memphis Farmers Market and wholesome brown rice.

I'd been craving stewed okra & tomatoes ever since Veggie Cookie posted about her re-creation of Deja Vu's (a veg-friendly Memphis soul food joint) tasty vegan side dish. I actually created a cookbook recipe for my Smoky Stewed Okra & Tomatoes last October, and I felt my craving was a great excuse to test the recipe one more time:

I love okra prepared this way. Growing up, we only ever had it fried because my parents don't like boiled okra. And while I still love the fried stuff, I think stewing (or boiling) really brings out okra's awesome texture.

That's all for tonight. But come back tomorrow night for a big, big announcement!! And don't worry. If you're not around Thursday night, that post will remain on top throughout the weekend. It'll be way exciting!

12 comments:

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

that creamy squash casserole looks mouth-watering delicious!

T said...

Yum, love okra! Its weird looking but so delish! Can't wait for the cookbook!

Millie said...

another authentic heavenly dish...fabulous!

http://shearsensations.blogspot.com

miss v said...

love okra. i think you've created some serious pre-demand for this southern cookbook, my lady!

Kelly said...

I don't think I've ever had okra...! Not by design, just by circumstance. I'll have to rectify that..

Sheridan said...

I am so hungry already and all of this looks delicious! I may call you about that stewed okra and tomato dish later.

Jessica said...

It's so funny how controversial okra is. I love it boiled and slimy, in soups and gumbo, fried, and now stewed or smothered. Yours looks fresh and delicious!

Leslie Richman said...

That all looks so delicious. I love squash and okra.

Vegan In The VI said...

The only thing I like about okra is the flower.

helgstarrs said...

That squash looks GOOD. We can't wait for your cookbook! ESP now that squash and okra are on season here in Memphis.

foodfeud said...

I'm excited to hear about this exciting news....
AND I have to get on trying some okra. It's not easy to find up here in NY. The casserole I might do soon though. I love summer squash and I was thinking about making an arborio rice-based casserole. What kind of rice did you use?

marisel said...

This looks good but surprising. I guess I have that idea that okra is slimy and gummy, but yours doesn't look that way at all, unless maybe it gets that way if you overcook it? I don't think I've ever cooked okra so not really sure what to expect..will give it a try though.