Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lick It!

I love homemade ice cream, but I went all last summer without making my own because I couldn't find my ice cream maker. Actually, it's my mom's ice cream maker, which I gave to her as a gift years ago. But I'd borrowed it the summer before last to make some fresh peach ice cream, and I swore I gave it back to her. When I asked to borrow it again last summer, she couldn't find it. In fact, she didn't think I ever gave it back.

Well, turns out she was right. It was in the storage room at my house all last summer, right under my nose. When I came to this realization in the fall, I was all sad that I'd missed ice cream season. But now that temps are in the 90s again, I can finally put my long-unused ice cream maker back into commission. Lucky for me, the fine folks at the Farm's Book Publishing Company gave me a copy of Lick It! to review.

Lick It! by Cathe Olson is filled with mouth-watering recipes for vegan ice cream, sorbets, frozen yogurt, popsicles, and even tasty ice cream toppings. Because I had half a package of Sweet 'n' Sara vegan mini marshmallows begging to be used, I opted to try the Rocky Road Ice Cream first:

This is a variation on Olson's basic chocolate ice cream, which like most of her full fat ice creams, has a coconut milk base. I added the marshmallows and some walnuts to make it Rocky Road. It tastes EXACTLY like the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream, which makes me very, very happy:

And yes, I do have new hair!

As for texture, it's super creamy, but it does seem to melt a little faster than commercial store-bought ice creams. Of course, it's so tasty that it's hard not to eat it so fast that it doesn't have much time to melt.

I can't wait to try some of the other frozen treats in Lick It! Next on the list are Strawberry Lemonade Sorbet, Blueberry Frozen Yogurt, Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Drumstick Cones.

19 comments:

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

YUM to the max!
I really need to get my ice cream maker back out. The last thing I made in it was pb ice cream from Voluptuous Vegan, and it tasted even BETTER than dairy ice cream.

(Why was I surprised??)

Carrie said...

Wow, a whole book of vegan ice cream?! Color me jealous!

Anonymous said...

I love your hair! It looks super cute. I've been making lots of ice cream too this summer. I just made strawberry yesterday. I will be so sad when ice cream season is over.

Ricki said...

Ever since I started making homemade ice cream, I've decided it's so much better than store-bought, too. (Which works out really well, since I'n not allowed store bought on my diet!). :) This looks terrific--and rocky road, mmmmmm!!

Tiana said...

Your new hair looks wicked! And that ice cream cone needs to be in my hand.. preferably now.

Anonymous said...

Firstly: your hair looks fabulous! You're already ready for fall! :) And that ice cream is giving me kitchen aid attachment envy, your additions make it look so insane!

Lauren said...

I like the hair! I have seriously been debating cutting mine off.

And mmm ice cream

foodfeud said...

That looks super good. I'm sort of upset that ice cream really needs an appliance to make at home and I've only tried one or two vegan store brand ice creams.
Maybe it's about time to change that.

Candy Beans said...

Thanks for the review! I've been considering getting an ice cream maker and have been trying to figure out which Vegan ice cream book to try first.

Dianne said...

Mmm homemade ice cream! I haven't had Rocky Road in forever...I wish I had ROOM for an ice cream maker!

Jessica said...

I love the cone! You should be sure to share when you make the drumstick cones, those sound exciting. I think you'll have plenty of ice cream weather ahead.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Awesome book title. The ice cream looks fantastic!

Tami said...

I love that book, too! So many good things in there. You can't go wrong.

Mihl said...

You had me at creamy. I need that book!

Eric said...

Gah everyone has a ice cream maker! Im very jealous.

bourgeois gal said...

Looks fab! I've been contemplating an ice-cream maker investment, but I question the amount of money spent on home-made versus store-bought. Any thoughts?

Just Us said...

Oh man..your ice cream looks so good. That is one thing that I really miss since becoming vegan. Looks like I may need to try making some.

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love that cookbook! And I LOVE ice cream. Buying my own ice cream maker was one of the best investments I've ever made. I can't get enough of it and I'm always making new creations. Your rocky road looks INCREDIBLE!

urban vegan said...

I love that book! There's another good one called Vegan Scoop. So much icy yumminess to be had.

BTW, how adorable are you?!