Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Frenchie Onion Soup

Cookbook author extraordinaire Sarah Kramer's 2010 Go Vegan wall calendar hangs proudly on my kitchen wall right next to the fridge. When I hung the calendar on New Year's Day, I promised myself I wouldn't peek ahead. Now each month's kitschy-cute pic of Kramer and accompanying recipe 'o the month is a fun surprise.

I also promised myself that I would make every recipe in the calendar in the month it appeared. June was Frenchie Onion Soup, and though I had intentions of making this veganized comfort standard in June, I actually didn't get around to cooking the soup until July 1st. Oops! Here it is — better late than never, right?

I haven't had French onion soup in years, certainly not since I went vegan in 2004. But I remember loving the soft, caramelized onions, melted cheese, and soup-logged bread. Kramer's easy beef stock-free version did not disappoint. You may not see much liquid in the picture, but it's there hiding under all those onions and whole wheat bread. My vegan cheese of choice was mozzarella Daiya, which melted to stringy perfection under the broiler.

If you don't have Kramer's wall calendar, this soup is also featured in La Dolce Vegan.

17 comments:

Andrea said...

Damn, that looks pretty good!
I've never had a french onion soup (not even in my omni days!), but I would try that one.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Better late than never indeed! It's never too late for French Onion Soup, I love the stuff and make it frequently. So simple and SO delicious. We don't really get good vegan cheese here so we leave that part out and it is just as good anyway. Yours looks SCRUMPTIOUS!

ps - I hear you about not peeking ahead in your calendar. I have a Battlestar Galactic calender and I'm desperate to see what's next but I've managed to stop myself so far. I'm silly.

The Health Sensei said...

i need this recipe bianca, stat! ;) i actually need to give you my email anyway...

foodfeud said...

MMmm, I was just talking about how much I love onions...this would be perfect. So hot out though.

miss v said...

looks so awesome. i never tried french onion soup before i went vegan... but afterwards, it seemed like someone was always ordering it when we went out and i was just drooling. isn't that funny how it works?
i can't wait to try this recipe.

Babette said...

I also hadn't had onion soup in years when I did that recipe... it was very good... but I was not able to find good vegan cheese. it was good anyways.

T said...

Yum. I think vegan french onion soup is way better than the gross beef broth version. And I <3 Sarah Kramer!

Lisa Viger said...

Yes, I miss French onion soup too ... I must try this!

Eric said...

Yum! This has been on my agenda to make for a while… might need to make it happen asap.

Jessica said...

Caramelized onions are so good and just perfect for soup.

I don't think I could stop myself from peeking ahead.

Leslie Richman said...

Looks great- love the Pyrex too :)

Miss Kitchen Witch said...

You are the second blogger in the last couple days that I've read about making that recipe, taunting me with delicious photos! Curses!!

I must make some now....


http://misskitchenwitch.blogspot.com

jess_fildespages said...

French onion soup, yes please! I say another recipe recently and seeing yours makes me feel like its time to experiment!

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) said...

um. i want. :)

veghunter said...

hey really enjoyed browsing around your blog, recently started my own if you would like to take a look at www.veghunter.wordpress.com
keep up the great work!
veghunter.

Sarah Kramer said...

YUM!!

I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying the calendar. :)

Pam said...

Love your vintage Pyrex bowl! That soup looks delicious too!