Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Few Things I've Made

Last week, I took more food photos than I had days to post them so I have a little surplus. Since I didn't cook this weekend (except for a coconut icebox cake that I neglected to photograph!), I thought I'd share a couple of last week's meals. Both are testers for my Southern vegan cookbook. Here's my Fried Green Tomato & Tofu Sandwich:

Mmm-mmm. I wish had the fixin's to make this sandwich again right now. I love the way the savory flavor of the baked tofu compliments the tangy fried green tomato. The homemade Dijon-maple sauce really ties it all together.

My breakfast several days last week was this Sorghum Molasses French Toast with Local Blueberries:

The toast is prepared using my vegan French toast recipe, but the sorghum syrup (subbed for the traditional maple) is what really makes this dish shine. Down South, we love our sorghum syrup. If you've never had it, it tastes a little like molasses but much milder. A lot of folks call the syrup sorghum molasses, but there's really no molasses in sorghum. They're similar, yet completely different products — sort of like the sweet potato and the yam. In a pinch, you can certainly sub out blackstrap molasses for the sorghum in this recipe though.

Don't forget to enter the soap nuts giveaway! Click here for details.

16 comments:

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

that sandwich looks tasty indeed!

Belle said...

It's been forever since I've had fried green tomatoes, that looks soooo good.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, i work in a diner and have to smell maple cinnamon french toast EVERY morning and cant have any :( soooo i've been searching for a great vegan french toast recipe and it looks like i'll DEFINITELY be giving yours a try!!

JL Goes Vegan said...

I want that sandwich!

The Health Sensei said...

liking the looks of both recipes, and seriously still anxiously awaiting your cookbook. it will be the first non-raw-cookbook we've bought since Veganomicon.

T said...

Wow, they both are making me drool... and this is just the extras! Can't wait for the cookbook!

http://frugaliciouschick.blogspot.com said...

As always a great post full of yummy dishes. Its divine. Thanks Bianca.

I also wanted to inform you & your great vegan visitors that I opened a new hair blog. Please check it out its very informative about caring for your hair & skin. below is the address.

http://shearsensations.blogspot.com

Love...Millie

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

miss v said...

ooo, i made fried green tomato blts - you *have* to try them. the 'recipe' is somewhere in my blog, but i'm sure you can figure it out. :)

Serena said...

This all looks amazing. I LOVE fried green tomato for breakfast. Also, I've been craving french toast LIKE NO OTHER lately but haven't ever had a vegan one and don't know how to make it. Can't wait for your book!

Diana @ VEGeneration said...

Both look delicious!!

jess_fildespages said...

The french toast looks great! I think if I had to eat one thing forever that might be it!

Jenny said...

I'm so excited about your cookbook! And fried green tomatoes always look so amazing to me. Apparently, my Missouri roots are showing through because I don't know if I've ever had sorghum syrup.

Anonymous said...

Those fried green tomatoes look AMAZING. It took me a little while to almost perfect them, and a good amount of tomato abortions from my mom's garden in our back yard.

River said...

Must. Eat. Yummy. Sammy! Only a few more weeks of traveling until we can go home and get crunky with some more tester recipes! YAY!!

Jessica said...

I'm impressed (but not surprised) how much of your breading stuck to your tomatoes. They look tasty in the sandwich, and your dressing sounds good too.

Gena said...

Oh good grief, what spectacular looking pancakes!