Monday, July 12, 2010

Move Over, Hamburger Helper!

Back in my pregan days, I used to buy boxes of Hamburger Helper and mix in veggie burger crumbles in place of the meat. That was dinner. These days, I can't imagine eating a supper centered around instant cheese powder from a box (except for those Road's End Organics vegan mac & cheeses meals ... those are pretty tasty in a pinch). But no worries .... I can still have my Cheesy Burger Mac:

This homemade version of the comfort food classic will be included in my cookbook. The little cheesy chunks peeking out is Daiya cheddar shreds, an optional but delicious ingredient. The sauce is super cheesy without the addition of packaged vegan cheese, but I believe everything is better with a little Daiya. I used quinoa pasta this time because I adore that stuff, but whole wheat elbow macaroni would work too.

I served my burger mac with Caramelized Brussels Pecan Saute:

Another cookbook tester that I've featured on the blog several times. I've been tweaking the recipe, looking for the best way to cook the sprouts all the way through while still achieving that sexy caramelized effect. I've finally nailed it. Yea!

By the way, Tasha at Voracious Vegan is giving away one of those fancy new-fangled TofuXpress tofu presses. Head to her blog for details.

19 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Holy YUMMM! That looks delicious and it would totally satisfy any hamburger helper craving I could imagine. Bianca, I've said it before and I'll say it again - you are a genius.

Thanks for mentioning my giveaway!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh can't wait for the recipe! i was pretty much RAISED on hamburger helper with veggie burgers crumbled in haha

Tess said...

It's hard to find but if you can get your mitts on some of Leahey's Mac and Cheese you will die and go to heaven. I swear.

Millie said...

Excellent job...those macaroni's look fabulous and I imagine very delicioso tasting too...Bianca you are a great cook.

Adventures in Veg said...

Yum!
Can I ask a silly question? What IS hamburger helper?! I've heard it mentioned a few times but I don't know what it is....!

The Health Sensei said...

omg you did it again! the cookbook teasers have got to stop before my heart does ;)

JL Goes Vegan said...

When is your cookbook coming out??? I cannot wait. I grew up in the Midwest and so many of the comfort foods you adapt are familiar to me. Yep, what can I say, mom and dad turned to hamburger helper a lot in my youth. Two young parents raising four little girls and working full-time...it was a go to meal. I want to try YOURS! LOL

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

*Drool*

J said...

Oh my golly goodness. I am looking forward to your cookbook coming out. I grew up eating Hamburger Helper, which is kind of gross to me now, but still nostalgic and comforting. Yay for substitutions!

Just Us said...

Hamburger helper....oh yes, before I became vegan that was a staple at my house...still is for my husband..ha I bet even he would go for this!

Leslie Richman said...

That meal looks sooo good!

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

i only recently discovered that brussels sprouts are delicious (after years of avoiding them as a child finally ended)... and yours look amazing, i can't wait to read the recipe!

jess_fildespages said...

Mmm! I remember eating hamburger helper in my childhood and this veganized version sounds delicious. I cant wait to try it!

Tanya said...

I want your cookbook ASAP :)

Jessica said...

I should look for quinoa pasta. This looks delicious, and I love caramelized brussels sprouts, too!

Vegan In The VI said...

Although boxed meals fascinate me, I've never had hamburger helper in my life. What is this cookbook you keep referring to????

Eric said...

both meals look amazing. i miss not having loads of sprouts in the fridge :)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

My mom used to make us Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper all the time and I've often thought about veganizing it for the occasional treat. You beat me to it! Can't wait to try this recipe (and all the others that look so fabulous) when your cookbook is released!

Kip said...

I too believe everything's better with a little Daiya, but they don't sell in the UK! Still, the dish looks pretty awesome and I'll bet a sprinkling of cheezly would taste good too. Can't wait for the recipe/book!