Monday, July 19, 2010

Busty Blackberry BBQ

I subscribe to VegNews and Vegetarian Times, both of which are loaded with delicious-sounding vegan recipes. But sometimes all those recipes in one thin magazine can be overwhelming. I'll dog ear one recipe to make in the future, flip the page, and dog ear another. By the time I'm through with the magazine, I have at least 20 recipes added to my to-make list (which is very, very long already, mind you).

But for some reason, when I come across a vegan recipe in a non-vegan magazine, I get way excited and I have to make it. Especially when that vegan recipe was developed by our own Isa Chandra Moskowitz. The June/July 2010 issue of Bust Magazine featured a Berry Barbacue Sauce recipe by Isa! And I came across the recipe a day after my friend Aaron brought me a big ole' bag of local blackberries.

Here's some of Isa's berry sauce atop a Savory Seitan Steak from American Vegan Kitchen: Check out that big ass slice of heirloom Cherokee Purple tomato!

This tasty lunch was actually my way using some of the leftover BBQ sauce after I brushed most of it over tofu and veggie kabobs that my friends and I ate at a Pat Benatar outdoor show a couple of weeks ago. It was rainy outside and I was scared to take my camera, so no kabob pics. Sorry!

But more about the sauce — this smoky-sweet 'cue sauce is quite different from vinegar-heavy sauces folks eat here in Memphis. But it's oh-so-good! Onion, garlic, ginger, fresh berries, molasses, and smoked paprika all come together to create a sauce with rich, complex flavor.

If you happen to own the June/July issue of Bust, the recipe is featured in the "Life's a Picnic" spread. It's the only one submitted by Isa, but the feature also contains a bread and butter pickle recipe that I must try!

Don't forget to enter the soap nuts giveaway. Click here for more info.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I don't know if I could get my mouth around that monster burger, but that's what forks and knives are for, right?!

taylor said...

i subscribe to bust and the past few issues have all had a recipe from isa! bust is super vegan friendly and their travel articles always mention a veggie place or two in the featured city.

Maija Haavisto said...

Interesting, I've seen several vegan recipes this month that have featured blackberries in savoury dishes. A new trend in the making? It's too bad you can't get them in Finland, except a few times a year at a cost of 50 euros a kilo or so. :-/

The Health Sensei said...

that heirloom tomato does look gorgeous!

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

Some day, you are going to wake up and discover your amazing photography skills are gone. 'Cause I am going to steal them!! :)

(Not too vegan of me, huh?)

Diana @ VEGeneration said...

Your burger looks so yummy!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a nice change from the traditional BBQ sauce. I love BBQ sauce, but by the end of the summer I start getting sick of it.

I stopped subscribing to magazines last year because I never got to use them enough. I'd bookmark so many recipes and never get around to making even half of them.

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

I love Bust! Isa will write for the recipe column occasionally, but the usual author always posts a vegan recipe. It's one of my favorite magazines, other than VT.

Vegan In The VI said...

That is a major Dagwood sandwich! I am jealous!

Tami said...

That's a perfect summer sandwich- blackberry bbq and that tomato (!) over seitan. Yum!

T said...

I love Bust! I've been reading that magazine forever and it always gives me so many great ideas. And that looks amaaazing. I love fruity BBQ sauces.

Leslie Richman said...

I love Isa's recipes showing up in Bust!

miss v said...

that seitan cutlet looks awesome, but the cherry is that heirloom tomato!

Rikki Cupcake said...

I have this issue too, it was kinda upsetting to hear thet zoey deschanel says she eats meat. she was my fav. veg! sigh...
i am glad to hear the bbq sauce is tasty, everything isa creates is wonderful! if you get the chance two of my friends and myself are blogging new recipes every tuesday from the veganomicon. it is pretty fun and cool to see how three people, making the same recipe have three different results.

seitanicveganheathen.blogspot.com

Theresa said...

That sandwich is epic!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Damn girl, that burger looks awesome! Hooray for vegan recipes in BUST!