Thursday, January 1, 2009

To Health and Wealth!

In the South, we celebrate New Year's Day with black-eyed peas (to ensure health in the new year) and cabbage (for prosperity). My Granny always fixes a big dinner of the traditional foods, but she also makes hog jowl (some nasty pork product that looks like really fat bacon). I used to dine with my family on New Year's Day, but for the past several years, I've stayed at home and made my own traditional foods.

Today, I took the opportunity to develop a new recipe for my cookbook. It may not be that pretty, but here's my Hoppin' John Veggie Sausage Bowl:

Instead of serving cabbage on the side (as is customary), I boiled the cabbage with my black-eyed peas and tomatoes. I also threw in some veggie sausage chunks for added flavor. Served over brown rice, this one-pot dish was wholesome and yummy. And hopefully, I'll stay healthy and get wealthy (fingers crossed) in 2009.

Some Hoppin John trivia: According to , Wikipedia leftover Hoppin' John eaten the day after New Year's Day is called Skippin' Jenny. So I'll be having Skippin' Jenny for tomorrow's lunch.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great recipe!!! Your cookbook is going to be amazing.

Happy New Year!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Happy New Year! I had some black eyed peas tonight, just to be safe! hehe.

Amey said...

Happy New Year Bianca!
I was excited to make black eyed peas this year, but as it is, I've had a super rotten cold for about 4 days, and have been eating nothing but oranges and ramen and soup. Oh well! Good thing I'm not superstitious.

:) Amey

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Happy New Year! I love the idea of putting everything in one festive bowl.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Fabulous dish!!

Wishing you the BEST in 2009, Bianca!!

Unknown said...

That looks great! Dh made our dinner last night. He made collard packages stuffed with hoppin' johns, sweet potato souffle, and the best corn bread muffins that I have ever tasted.

My camera decided to act up so I couldn't get any pictures of it. :(

MeloMeals said...

looks great!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I am feeling very nervous that I didn't eat black eyed peas on new year's day... if I have them this weekend do you think I'll be okay? :-)
Love your hoppin john!

Jenn said...

I'd be skipping Jenny if I ate that. I'll make some black eyed peas this weekend to be safe.
Happy New Year!

Leslie Richman said...

Yum- that looks good! We had some cabbage and black eyed peas, too. My mom veganized a turnip green dip that was delicious. Health and wealth all around!!

Unknown said...

yum your black eyed peas look great..i didnt get to eat those on new years..hopefully i'll be okay ;)

VeganCowGirl said...

Looks great. Love the southern lore that often goes with your tasty treats! Happy New year.

Chelsea said...

Yum! I really need to start this tradition here, I could use some prosperity haha! Happy New Year!

Jenn said...

Ha! I just checked the wikipedia link and there's also "Hoppin' Juan" made with black beans.

Vegan In The VI said...

Happy New Year! Looking forward to all your creative recipes in 2009.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for your cookbook! This sounds delicious!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Well, we didn't have black eyed peas. Did I jinx our whole year?

Theresa said...

Happy new year, Bianca!

Megan said...

o0o i am looking forward to skippin' jenny! yummy.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I had black-eyed peas and collard greens for dinner on New Years, and it was so tasty. Hopefully it'll be lucky too.

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for your health!

miss v said...

looks great! the flavour combination sounds awesome.

Amey said...

Bianca!
I just found 10 more little cookbooks... so I want to send you one. Send me your mailing address to
ameyfm at yahoo dot com

:)

jessy said...

happy new year to you too, Bianca! wahoooooooooo!

your hoppin' john veggie sausage bowl looks pretty damn awesome to me! totally making me hungry - fo 'sho!

i hope 2009 brings you all the awesomeness you wish it to! yay!

Anonymous said...

Gotta get me some black eyed peas!