Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rawsome Tuesday

Another Tuesday night, another Raw Day gone by. I started this morning's uncooked cleanse with a veggie-packed glass of V5 Juice in my cool "I Voted for Barack Obama" Glass:

The juice contains two tomatoes, three celery stalks, one green bell pepper, two carrots, the juice of half a lemon, a dash of salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. I made it in my trusty Jack Lalanne juicer. Though I typically opt for a heartier breakfast on raw day, I thought it'd be nice to start with a healthy dose of liquids. I drank a giant cup of water with lemon, two glasses of the V5 Juice, and my usual iced blueberry green tea (I drink tea on raw days).

Of course I was starving by 10:30 a.m. Luckily, I packed plenty of between-meal snacks at work. First, I noshed on this Coconut Cream Pie Larabar:

I've seen this flavor on other blogs, but didn't know my Whole Foods carried it. OMG, this is totally the best one! And it satisfied my cravings for coconut bread.

For lunch, I brought this Raw Caesar Salad from Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw Food Made Easy:

The dressing is a raw ranch made from soaked cashews, onion and garlic powder, and dried basil and dill. It's pretty chunky and tastes surprisingly like tofu ricotta. This is the best raw dressing recipe I've found so far. It's nice to feel like you're eating tofu on raw day.

For dinner, I made Cornbleet's Spring Rolls. Here they are before rolling:

The wrappers are savoy cabbage leaves and the insides are filled with cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, and Cornbleet's Mock Peanut Sauce. It's made from processed almonds with garlic, ginger, and even maple syrup (which I doubt is raw, but the book called for it and I'm not that picky). IT IS SO GOOD! After filling these, I ate more of the sauce by itself. Here's how they looked all rolled up:

As usual on raw day, I stayed super hungry all day long. In between meals, I ate a whole mango, an apple, an orange mixed with fresh pineapple, and a couple of raw brownies that I froze a few raw days ago. It feels good, but I cannot wait to wake up tomorrow and eat some more coconut bread.

24 comments:

Jenn said...

Awesome raw day! I love your glass!

MeloMeals said...

Those rolls look amazing!

.. and thank the gods for cashews.. I could not do a good portion of the raw dishes I do without them!

Anonymous said...

Great raw food today. I agree that Larabar is one of the best!

Now your making me want to go raw for a day, I haven't done it in a while because it's so cold but now I'm inspired to.

Anonymous said...

Great raw day! I need to get back into a raw schedule...I just don't feel inspired with the snow & sub zeros...I love your glass!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Lovin' the raw goodness!!

Gina said...

I had my first raw day yesterday...I had a really high fat breakfast, and I think that kept me pretty full all day. I actually eliminated one thing I was going to have also. But...I eat a lot of food!

Those rolls look totally fantastic...next raw day I will have to try them!

VeganCowGirl said...

You are a champ to make it through a raw tuesday with that coconut bread in the house. I would NEVER have made it. Love the spring rolls. I have never seen that type of Lara Bar before...going to keep my eyes open for it next time I am home.

Leslie Richman said...

Nice raw day! I definitely need to try that Larabar flavor...

Jen said...

both you and jo have inspired me to eat more raw foods. in addition to the hungry feeling, i'm challenged with the whole cold food in winter thing.

that glass is funky fresh, yo.

Unknown said...

the rolls look SO delicious!
i'm thinking of going raw a few days here and there as well..i'll have to pick up that cookbook! :)

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

what a gorgeous salad!

Gina said...

Bianca, one of the strange things (I think) about Ani's book is that she gives the nutrition information for a few recipes. Just a few. Mostly desserts. I guess the point is to show how healthy a raw dessert can be? The thing that surprised me the most was the amount of salt...I don't think I usually eat that much salt, and its more than one should be eating. But, someone left me a comment saying that she always reduces the salt, so in the future I'll do that! If I had calculated everything ahead of time, I would have, but I kind of wanted to just eat raw, and see how the nutrition breadown turned out. I was really surprised I thought it was going to be A LOT higher, especially after that breakfast.

jessy said...

rawsome! i love it! ahahahaa! hooray for another delicious raw tuesday!

i love your Obama glass! i should totally get some of those! your juice sounds great. man, i need a juicer! i hear they're so awesome...

i have not tried the coconut larabar and i don't know what they hell i've been waiting for. mmmmmm! gonna have to pick one up. just had the peanut butter cookie one the other day - it tasted just like a cookie! so rock'n!

your salad looks colorful & tasty! the raw ranch sounds great, too! now on to your spring rolls - WOWZERS! they're gorgeous & sound too freak'n delicious! the mock peanut sauce has got my attention! mmmmmmmm!

hope you enjoyed some of your coconut bread this morning, Bianca! and dan saw all your test recipes on the menu for next week and he got all excitedfaced, too! w00t!

Janet said...

you make raw look so easy and delicious. mmmm coconut cream larabar...

Vegan_Noodle said...

Awesome pint glass!

I think I'm going to try raw for a day next week so reading this post was super helpful. Maybe I'll go back and read em all! I will likely be starving all day long as well, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Laura said...

kudos on keeping to your raw commitment...you are a better woman than me i guess! :) it all looks great, though! enjoy your coconut bread in the morning!

Anonymous said...

Your salad (and everything else) looks so delicious. Have you tried the raw Caesar dressing from E,D&BV? It's sooo crazy delicious.

Jenn said...

The Larabar Coconut Cream Pie is good but... it reminds me of the Cafe Gratitude raw coconut cream pie - and then I think "aww, heck - I should just be making this MYSELF without all the non-biodegradable mylar wrappers"

I swear, one day, I'll just do it... make my own lara bars. But they'd be jenn bars. :)

miss v said...

i've been craving some raw spring rolls/wraps. yours look great!

Carrie said...

OMG I tried that Larabar for the first time today too!! It's one of the few I hadn't tried because I don't like shredded coconut, but I'm so glad I did because it was delicious!
Your foods today are making me want to try a raw food day, but I'm a little intimidated...Why is it that NOT cooking food seems more complicated??

Anonymous said...

Love the raw food amazingness. You've got me kick started for my upcoming cleanse with this good lookin' grub.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Your glass is too cool! The salad and the spring rolls look so yummy and refreshing. Your raw food days are the bestest!

Ruby Red said...

I think the Coconut Cream Pie Larabars are one of the best ones, too! I wish they would make a Larabar with figs. yum.

That raw ranch dressing with cashews...oh my gosh! I need to keep that cookbook in mind now, because that recipe looks sensational! I do think a raw day every once in a while would be fun, just because raw food is exciting and creative. It's just hard to muster up the energy for all the planning a raw day involves!

Susan G said...

I love Jennifer's book - the food is so simple, yet so delicious. Have you tried the kale salad? I never could believe that I would love raw kale before this!