Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Skinny Chocolate Pancakes!!

When I eat anything from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, I can't help but feel good about it since the recipes are low in sugar, loaded with nutrient-rich food, and made with whole wheat pastry flour. Even though I only use whole wheat pastry flour for everything I bake and I never, ever use white sugar, there's something nice about having Rory and Kim's seal of approval.

I had that good feeling when I ate these Chocolate Pancakes this morning:

The only sweetener in the batter is a couple tablespoons of maple syrup, and as you can see, I've drizzled a little more on top. But maple syrup is vitamin-rich, so I don't feel bad about that. The chocolate part comes from 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. And since I used a non-stick skillet (thanks mom, she gave me one of her gently-used non-stick skillets over Christmas to make room for her new set), I didn't even use any oil to fry these up. There are a couple tablespoons of safflower oil in the batter, but that's good fat.

These were perfect with a couple slices of my Tempeh Bacon and a glass of fresh orange juice. I made a whole batch of mini-pancakes on Sunday night, and I've been re-heating a couple each morning. It's the first time I've pre-made pancakes (got the idea from another blog but I can't remember which one), and they heat up wonderfully in the microwave for about 30 seconds. They taste just as fresh as if they'd just come out of the skillet.

20 comments:

Tara said...

Yum! They sound delicious and I love that they are made with healthier ingredients. I must get that book!

Anonymous said...

They look good indeed!

T said...

Oooh, love the bananas on top. I need to invest in a non-stick skillet myself.

Jen said...

nice pancakes. i love making batches of pancakes and waffles. both freeze really well, so if you feel like pancakes in the middle of summer, but don't feel like cooking--you can do it.

Leslie Richman said...

Mmm yummy breakfast. I wish I could get the tempeh bacon thing right!

jessy said...

chocolate pancakes of healthy deliciousness - hells yeah, Bianca! that's what i'm talk'n about. huzzah for more of your tempeh bacon. dan & i just made more last night to have with bagels for breakfast (we're addicted)! i think i need to try some chocolate pancakes, too! mmmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

I love that cookbook too! I haven't made their pancakes yet but this post makes me want to! =) Love it!!!

aTxVegn said...

You're making me want to buy that book. Perfect 'cakes!

nora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nora said...

mmm im gettin the feeling that i need to purchase skinny bitch in the kitch. i have skinny bitch, but who wants the book loaded with facts when you can have one loaded with food?! haha i wish i could exchange one for the other! also...i wann have breakfast with you...can i fly over one of these days?! the dining hall's already getting old and it's only week 2! aghhh

Anonymous said...

I always leave the skin on my SweetP fries, well if they're organic SweetP's I do.

I don't notice a difference in taste at all. I love em!

Gina said...

I still have yet to try anything from their book! I don't know why. Oh, I lied, I did try the tofu feta, which I LOVE, so I don't know why I haven't tried anything else.

Lisa said...

I just love these tips, like refrigerating leftover pancakes. I didn't know they would keep!

Sara said...

It's too good to be true! I can't wait to try these. :)

Jenn said...

Mmmm chocolate pancakes...

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Oh yes, bring on the maple syrup!! Chocolate for breakfast? Count me in!

I do that with frozen pancakes too, but stick them in the toaster and they come out all crispy and waffly!

Alison said...

I love Skinny Bitch! It's true, when I make things from that book I feel like I'm really eating something good. If only I could just eat that way every day... I just don't have the willpower but I'm trying to get better about it!

Vegan In The VI said...

You could probably even slice the bananas into the chocolate pancake batter. I love the combination of chocolate and banana.

Anonymous said...

I'm coming to your house for breakfast...ok, I would come to your house if it wasn't so far away!

Anonymous said...

Yum, pancakes! The sweet/savory combo of tempeh bacon and chocolate pancakes sounds awesome.