Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thank You, Duncan Hines

Since I finally got my much-coveted KitchenAid stand mixer and this awesome vintage cake carrier for Christmas, there was no question as to what I would bring to today's Ethical Eating lecture and potluck at the Unitarian Universalist Church. A layer cake, of course!

My parents found this on eBay! It's all metal and I love that it has a lid holder.

You may remember my Granny's yummy vegan Coconut Icebox Cake picture from my Thanksgiving post. It was a moist yellow cake topped with a frosting made from fresh coconut, cream of coconut, and sugar.

I knew I wanted to include her recipe in my cookbook, but since I didn't have the recipe, I gave Granny a call. She revealed that her secret yellow cake recipe was actually Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix (which is vegan, by the way)! Since I didn't want to put Duncan Hines in my cookbook, I attempted to develop my own vegan cake recipe.

Not such a good idea for a last-minute potluck cake. Though the taste was spot-on, the cakes were gooey in the center. I know I used too much liquid since the batter was soupier than it should have been. But I'll tweak that recipe for the cookbook later. In the meantime, I had to act fast. So I ran to Kroger and bought the Duncan Hines. The layers baked beautifully and tasted like heaven.

I frosted the cake with coconut mixed with evaporated cane juice and Tofutti sour cream (even though Granny used cream of coconut last time, she advised I try vegan sour cream since the cream of coconut was hard to work with). Here's the result:

Admittedly, it's not the prettiest cake. The top layer broke in half when I flipped it out of the pan, so I tried to mask the flaw with frosting. And then since I used extra frosting in the ugly spot, I ran out for really filling in the sides.

But the cake was a hit at the potluck. Oh, and I didn't tell anyone it came from a box. :-)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so modest--it's beautiful!

Chelsea said...

You're granny sounds like such a character! Reminds me of mine :) And I freakin' love that cake carrier! I have also found some amazing things on Ebay!

Anonymous said...

That cake carrier is so beautiful! I'm pretty sure my Grandma had one like that! What a score!
I think it looks beautiful, and you'll totally be able to tweak the recipe!

Brad and Ahnah said...

I love that cake carrier!! And the cake looks so good!!!

Anonymous said...

If you have time, I would love to hear more about the Ethical Eating lecture. I'm a UU, too, although living in Dublin right now, where I think I'm the only one of my variety...Anyway, if you get a moment, I'd like to know how the event was! Thanks.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I want that carrier! LOVE it.

Alison said...

that is the cutest cake carrier, I'm jealous!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Your cake looks great, I'm always having to cover up some flaw with frosting when I make layer cakes!!

VeganCowGirl said...

Amazing carrier - amazing cake!!! Don't you just love grannies?

There is nothing I would like more than a slice of that coconut cake - I am dying for your book to be done. :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh gosh, now I want coconut cake... and it's 6AM!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such a fun cake and carrier!!

Vegan In The VI said...

That carrier is excellent! I'm off to eBay now to get one.

Gina said...

That is such a beautiful cake carrier!!!

What did you use to replace the eggs in the cake mix?

I love coconut cake, that looks fabulous :)

jessy said...

mmmmmmmm! i do remember the coconut icebox cake! how cool that you tried to make your own yellow cake, too - sorry it was a bit gooey, but i bet next time you'll totally get it! :) no need to tell people about Duncan Hines! and i think the cake looks amazing, Bianca! sooooooo awesome! i hope we get to test the recipe soon! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

your cake carrier rocks so hard!

Leslie Richman said...

I love the cake carrier!

Jen said...

i love your granny even though i haven't met her. and i think that cake looks just fine. i heart duncan hines too, even though their mixes are full of chemicals, the cake mixes sure come in handy in a pinch. i subbed the egg with silken tofu and it was the richest moistest cake i've ever tasted. and that cake carrier you have? to. die. for.

T said...

MMM it looks fabulous! And I'm surprised that sour cream worked, I would think it would also be too goopy.

And love the vintage holder! You must have looked so cute walking in with that. :)

Anonymous said...

Sooooooooooooooooooo good =P

Amey said...

oh wow, I LOVE that cake carrier!! Holy cow. Now, suddenly, I feel that I also need a cake carrier.

The cake looks delicious. I haven't had dinner yet, so it's looking extra good to me just now.

by the way, if and when you make a king cake, use the recipe off of kittee's blog instead of the one from Papa Tofu. she says that she likes the one on her blog better.

xo Amey

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Listen, if you're not completely happy with your cake, I'll take the whole thing. It will magically disappear into my belly in no time! :)

I'm so behind on recipe testing! Where the heck do my days go?

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I think it looks pretty AND delicious! Glad it was a hit as well.

Gina said...

Thanks for the comment! I was thinking the same thing kind of, that replacing 3 eggs with Ener-G might be a bit too much, and was thinking maybe tofu.

Anyway, this was awesome, because I never would have thought to pick up a box of Duncan Hines!!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your cake carrier! Your cake is pretty good-looking too.

Anonymous said...

Your vintage cake carrier is super cool! That cake sounds yummy! I've used the Duncan Hines frosting in the past but I think it tastes a little funny. Good luck with your own recipe!

Anonymous said...

it is, too, beautiful! and the vintage carrier...holy crap, it's gorgeous.