Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gumbo!

Hey ya'll! Because no Southern cookbook is complete without a gumbo recipe, I developed this tasty Tempeh Gumbo last night:

Honestly, it was my first time making gumbo, but I followed some roux-makin' instructions from an omni recipe. Then I added no-chicken broth, the mandatory okra and tomatoes, some other yummy veggies, and my favorite faux-meat-of-the-moment, tempeh. I love how a good roux creates a thick, hearty stew. Perfect for warmin' my bones on these cold winter nights. Memphis actually got a light dusting of snow Tuesday night — a rariety in these parts.

My friend Greg came over last night to try and connect my borrowed computer to the internet, but no luck (something about a missing network driver? I dunno ... I don't speak computer). But while he was there, I fed him a bowl of gumbo, and he gave it a thumbs up. He's picky, so his approval is a good thing.

No soup or stew is complete without bread. So I baked a loaf of Whole Wheat Beer Bread for gumbo-dippin':

This recipe will also be going into the book. But it's so simple that I'll share you all now.

Whole Wheat Beer Bread
------------------------------

3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 Tbsp. evaporated cane juice (or white sugar if you please)

1 tsp. sea salt

12 ounces of tasty vegan beer (I used New Belgium black English ale, but PBR will work too!)

1 Tbsp. soy margarine


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Add beer. Stir to combine. Pour into a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes, and then brush margarine over the top. Bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Holy gumbo deliciousness!!

Alicia said...

And yet another recipe for something I've never eaten in my whole life... I have to admit that I didn't even try to become a tester for your cookbook because how will I know if I get the recipes right?! I have absolutely nothing to compare them with! I hope to learn tons of things when I buy the cookbook!

Anonymous said...

Soup and bread = best meal combo ever!!!!! Your gumbo creations looks beautiful and yummy too. I am super psyched for the release of your cookbook!!!! Hurry up already!!!!

It's funny, I enjoy sitting still which might be why knitting is a nice craft project. You could start some sort of mobile knitting group maybe?!

jessy said...

huzzah! that's a combination of excellence! yay! my favorite faux-meat-of-the-moment = tempeh, too! i just can't get enough of it! i can't say i've ever made a roux before, Bianca - think i'll have to check it out!

sorry your computer's still down - but you've got some seriously tasty eats go'n on!

i can't wait to try our your whole wheat beer bread! mmmmm!

Anonymous said...

If that isn't a good old comforting meal, I don't know what is.

Unknown said...

mmm, your gumbo looks absolutely delicious! i love thick, hearty soups like that..and with tempeh, how perfect!
the bread sounds really good too...
i'm really REALLY excited for your cookbook :)

Anonymous said...

So, seriously now, there's no way to be a tester anymore? Just kidding. I really would love to taste the Tempeh Gumbo because it looks really good. I'm one of those rare people who can't love tempeh. Somehow though this gumbo could change my feelings.

Meg Wolff said...

You Creole looks devine. That's something I've never made but would love, especially with tempeh!

Chelsea said...

OMG I want that gumbo!!!

aTxVegn said...

Both of these recipes will be great in your book. The bread is similar to a recipe I recently made. That buttery topping is what makes it!

Anonymous said...

YUM! That looks super good, and I love me some gumbo. I can't wait to test it. Anything with a roux, tempeh, and okra has to be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I think I'm going to have to make me some gumbo! Craving time!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

omg gumbo is amazing

Unknown said...

so here I was in Nashville reading this vegan guy's blog and I see yours! The gumbo looks great Bianca. I miss you guys and will miss you more when I move to LA next year

MeloMeals said...

Looks great! I only make Gumbo once or twice a year.. but I really enjoy it when I do..

Your beer bread looks great too..

BellaTrixx said...

Beer and bread?! My two favorite things! Can i sign up to be a late tester?? :) Wow!

Erin said...

I looooove love love beer bread. My mom's policy was to use white flour and the cheapest beer possible, but I bet the New Belgium tasted really nice with the wheat flour.