Monday, January 9, 2023

Cheesesteak Fries, Pan con Tomate, & N/A Beer

My favorite vegan food truck, Da Guilty Vegan, typically sets up shop in Cordova, a neighborhood about 20 minutes from my house. So I rarely get there. But one day recently, chef Derek took his truck to Crosstown Brewing Co., which is in my neighborhood. So I had to go! I got his Philly Cheesesteak Fries, and WOWSERS! These were so damn good. They were topped with Beyond burger, vegan cheese, bell peppers, and onions. I ate every bite, and though I was super-full, I was sad they were gone.

Here's a recent Tofu & Broccoli Stir-fry that looks very much like the one from Thursday's post. But this one has added mung bean sprouts that were leftover from our Christmas Eve pho. Tofu and broccoli is kind of my go-to stir-fry combo. The tofu in this was my favorite super-firm tofu from my neighborhood Asian market.

One morning a few weeks back, I made Pan con Tomate (that's Spanish tomato bread) for breakfast. The simple recipe is from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook, and it's just homemade sourdough, tomato, garlic, and nooch. But rather than added the chopped ingredients, you smear the garlic and tomato over the bread so the bread kind of grates the veggies. Makes a great breakfast, but it's also perfect with red wine as a happy hour snack.

Speaking of booze, I'm doing a bit of a Damp January. Definitely not giving up alcohol. In fact, I'm drinking red wine several days a week for health reasons (but more on that in a few days when I catch y'all up with my Blue Zones challenge). But I am consciously trying to drink less, so I ordered about 30 low-proof beers from Athletic Brewing Co. to enjoy in between drinking days. Each has about a half percent alcohol. They're great as a substitute on nights I don't want to drink at all, and they're also great when I've already had one or two drinks and want more (but shouldn't). 

2 comments:

Susan said...

I recently has some cheesesteak fries that were extremely disappointing. But yours look incredible!

Anonymous said...

Pro tip: you can get Athletic Brews at Cash Saver on Madison for a much better price than the delivery.