Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Blue Zones Challenge!

We're mid-way through January now, and I'm just now getting around to telling y'all about my annual January challenge. Every year, I pick a different reset plan. And this year, I'm doing the Blue Zones Challenge. I've long been a fan of Dan Buettner's Blue Zones work, and I finally got the challenge workbook a few weeks ago.

If you're not familiar, the Blue Zones are five regions around the world with the highest number of people over 100. And since I'm trying to live to 100, I figured I should learn their secrets. Turns out they're not that far enough from how I live anyway. Dan identified nine principles these people live by: 1) eat a plant-based diet (check!), 2) move naturally (check! Though I also move unnaturally with my marathon running), 3) reduce stress (check! I've got a daily yoga and meditation practice), 4) drink wine at 5 (yes, please), 5) spend time with community (I could be better), 6) focus on family (also, could be better, but I'm trying to call my parents weekly), 7) have a spiritual practice (check! Even if it's a non-conventional one!), 8) don't overeat (definitely could be better), and 9) know your purpose (check!).

The Blue Zones Challenge book gives you weekly activities to work through these concepts, and there are a few recipes. I'm also using recipes from Dan's beautiful hardcover Blue Zones Kitchen Cookbook. Here are a few things I've made lately.

This was the Gallo Pinto from the Costa Rican Blue Zone with black beans, white rice, avocado, cilantro, and mango. So easy and delicious!


This was the Miso Soup from the Okinawan Blue Zone. This was a both a hearty breakfast and a nice, quick lunch.


And here's some Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto from the Sardinian Blue Zone. Some of the Blue Zones use a ton of olive oil, and this recipe definitely did. I used to do the whole oil-free thing, but I'm now of the belief that olive oil is good for you. And while I'm training for a 50-miler, those extra calories are much needed. Served with my homemade sourdough. The Blues Zones are all about sourdough!


I've got lots more to share over the coming days! So much good food on this plan. 

1 comment:

Vegkat said...

Sounds interesting. Is it high carb? It's great that it allows white rice (I don't like brown). Good luck!