Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Donuts! Pizza! Gnocchi!

My co-worker Lily runs Darling Donuts Memphis, and she's taken a bit of a break from slinging donuts during the pandemic. But this week, she decided to do "ding-dong donuts" where she just drives around dropping donut surprises on doorsteps! And yesterday, I got a ding-dong surprise! Best package ever.


I'd already started my 16-hour fast for the day (it was around 4 pm), but I broke fast and had two donuts (one glazed, one cinnamon sugar) because my priorities are in order. :-) I considered sharing the rest with friends but quickly thought better of that plan and froze the rest to enjoy later. I've missed Lily's vegan donuts so much, and who knows when life will return to normal. I need to be well-stocked!

I also had pizza yesterday, so I'd say it was a good day. I made the Tuscan White Bean Pizza from Robin Robertson's Vegan on the Cheap. This recipe was reprinted with permission on the No Meat Athlete Intermittent Fasting page, and I had everything to make it. So I did! Mashed, seasoned white beans stand in for cheese here, and I topped this with some farmer's market tomatoes, fresh basil from my herb garden, and kalamatas.


On my last big grocery trip to Trader Joe's, I picked up some Kale Gnocchi. And I had some leftover silken tofu in the fridge, so one day last week, I whipped up the tofu alfredo recipe from the Happy Herbivore Cookbook and served with the gnocchi. Wow!! This stuff is amazing, and I will be picking up more bags of gnocchi on my next TJ's run.


I've been making simple meals with canned foods quite often, like these Refried Bean Tacos. I used a can of TJ's refried beans, plus some Daiya (I keep mine in the freezer), black olives, and fresh tomato, sprouts, and lettuce from the farmer's market.


Here's a quick stir-fry I made with marinated tofu, brown rice, and sauteed cabbage and asparagus. I stocked up on cabbage because it lasts forever. I'd gotten the asparagus on sale a few weeks ago and immediately chopped it up and froze it for later.


Everybody is baking bread these days, so I jumped on that bandwagon with some fresh Banana Bread! I usually freeze ripe bananas for smoothies, but I let a couple sit out and get super-ripe for bread. I googled until I found this recipe on Nora Cooks that I had all the ingredients for. It was really good! I'd highly recommend this recipe!


3 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

You could get a bumper sticker that says, "I break for donuts!" Haha! But seriously, I'm so glad you broke your fast for donuts. Since I have no easy access to vegan donuts, I can only live vicariously through you and your very generous friend. Seriously, how lucky are you???

Susan said...

That is so sweet of your friend to be bringing doughnut joy to the world, and so exciting that you got your own drop off!

Sarah said...

OMG it all looks so good but those donuts!!!! Yum! Your banana bread looks like perfection!