Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Mardi Gras Eats!

Down South, Mardi Gras is a big deal. It's not as big in Memphis as it is in New Orleans, of course. But we're only six hours away, so the Fat Tuesday partying is definitely a thing here. And, as a lover of all things NOLA, it's one of my favorite holidays!

I started my Fat Tuesday with a locally made Dave's King Cake Bagel stuffed with blackened Cajun tofu, Chao cheese, and spinach. These are plain bagels but with fun Mardi Gras colors! I typically reserve white bread for before or after runs, so I had this immediately after my morning six-miler to re-fuel my carbs.


I always make coffee with chicory to enjoy on Fat Tuesday so I can pretend like I'm lounging on the patio at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.


Every year, I made Kittee Kake's recipe for king cake. It's a no-fail recipe that bakes up a massive king cake! Sadly, I don't think her recipe is online anymore, but I have a printed copy that I've held onto for years. This year, I went with her apple praline filling (cooked, tart apples with cinnamon and vegan butter and maple-y praline pecans). I took this to work, and I'm not sure who found the baby. But the cake was gone by mid-morning.


Here's my slice, enjoyed mid-morning with a second cup of coffee.


My coworker Lily, who runs Darling Donuts, also brought in some vegan King Cake Donuts! I only had a bite of one since I'd already had king cake.


Later in the day, Crosstown Concourse (where I work) held its annual Mardi Gras celebration. We had a second line, a brass band, a puppy costume contest, and free beads for everyone! Here's the pic of the group that did a Beychella flash mob dance!


After the event, I went home and enjoyed an amazing Mardi Gras takeout meal from Imagine Vegan Cafe. They were offering a special with Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice, and Gumbo — all made with Beyond Sausage. REALLY GOOD!


4 comments:

Susan said...

I always love seeing your King Cake!

Hillary said...

I agree with Susan! I just love all your holiday eats since I never do special occasion meals!

Cadry's Kitchen said...

Your king cake looks amazing, and I love the ideas of apples inside. I've never had king cake, but I'd love to try it someday.

Unknown said...

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and cares at this time. ❤