Monday, February 24, 2020

Casserole & Stir-fry!

I know I post a lot of donuts and french fries these days, but I promise I'm still eating mostly whole foods. I'm sticking to the 80/20 Plants rule (80% whole, 20% treats) most days, so most of the meals I eat at home are whole food, plant-based. Late last week, I made this Pinto Bean & Greens Enchilada Casserole from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook, and it was made entirely of whole foods.


The base of pintos, onions, and kale is topped corn tortillas and then smothered with cashew queso and salsa before baking. The queso bakes into the soft tortillas, making for a very delicious meal. I topped with plenty of avocado and black olives. I will definitely be making this again.

I also made this Tofu Stir-fry last week. I found fresh asparagus on-sale at Kroger, and I sauteed that with some frozen stir-fry veggies and marinated, air-fried tofu. I made a quick sauce with soy sauce, garlic powder, sriracha, and cornstarch. Served over brown rice.


Despite eating whole foods most of the time, I always have white bread bagels before my long runs because white bread breaks down into fuel much quicker than whole grain bread (and it has less chance of upsetting my tummy on runs). Here's a locally made Dave's Blueberry Bagel with 88 Seeds Watermelon Seed Butter before a 20-miler last weekend.


After my runs, I typically have white rice for carb replacement. But one day last week, I ran on the treadmill at the YMCA because it was rainy and cold outside, so I treated myself to a post-run Orange You Glad Juice from Juice Bar in Crosstown Concourse. This has carrot, apple, pineapple, mint, ginger, and lemon.


And finally, here's a lovely 20% treat snack! I met my friend Susan for drinks at Art Bar at Crosstown Arts last Friday. They've added a Vegan Cheese Plate to the bar menu! We snacked on cheese, and I had wine to pair. Very yummy!


3 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I had no idea that watermelon seed butter was even a thing! I'll have to look into that!

Hillary said...

I love enchilada casserole so much! It's so easy and tasty!
I have never heard of watermelon seed butter! What will they think of next?
That cheese plate looks like a dream! I love snacky plates like that!

Susan said...

Watermelon seed butter is blowing my mind right now.