Thursday, February 20, 2020

Burgers & Breakfasts!

I've been on a burger kick lately! Today, I went to Farm Burger in Crosstown Concourse for lunch and got the Housemade Vegan Burger with tahini, caramelized onion, and red cabbage, plus a side of sweet potato fries. They also carry the Beyond Burger now so yay for options!


Speaking of Beyond, I finally tried Simple Truth's Emerge Plant-Based Burger. This Kroger brand vegan patty is cheaper than Beyond but tastes and looks EXACTLY the same. Enjoyed on a whole wheat bun with Chao cheese, vegan mayo, spicy ghost pepper pickles, and dijon. I made sweet potato fries in the air fryer (way healthier than the ones I had at Farm Burger today!).


I've been listening to the Engine 2 Plant-Strong podcast lately on my runs, and host Rip Esselstyn is always talking about his Rip's Big Bowl. You can buy the Rip's Big Bowl cereal at Whole Foods, but on the podcast, he gives the recipe to make it at home. I didn't have all the ingredients, but I made a few substitutions. This has Uncle Sam's wheat flakes (they're in his recipe), rolled oats, chia seeds, ground flax, walnuts, dried cranberries, blueberries, banana, and almond milk. It's really good and very filling! This is a nice rest day (from workouts) breakfast.


When I was in Nashville last weekend, we got a hotel room just for fun! And I brought along my usual travel breakfast of an oat cup and nut butter. I had Chocolate Cinnamon Pecan Oats with 88 Acres Vanilla Sunbutter.


And I picked up this vegan Starbucks Frappucino (made with almondmilk) at a gas station to enjoy with my breakfast. I wouldn't normally drink this since I can save the $4 and make great iced coffee at home. But when you're on the road, it's nice to have a milky iced coffee option that's so widely available!


1 comment:

Susan said...

Yay for burgers! I went to a Buffy Trivia night at a random sports bar in a shopping centre a few nights ago, and I was delighted to see that they had a vegan burger! (Also a vegan parma, but it was cheap burger night so of course I got the burger). It was a pretty good burger too.

The tahini, cabbage, and caramelised onion combination sounds wonderful.