Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Vegan Eats in Nashville!

I spent the weekend in Nashville, where my partner Paul works (and lives part-time). He was running the Hendersonville Half Marathon (his first half!), so I wanted to be there to support him. Also, my friend Cassi needed a ride to Nashville because she was performing in a burlesque show there. She hitched a ride over with me on Friday afternoon.

While we were on the road, Cassi mentioned that she'd like to try White Castle's new Impossible Slider. We don't have White Castle in Memphis (it's a Krystal town), but Nashville has a few. So we looked up the one closest to where she was staying, and I put it in my GPS. This was our first stop off the interstate! Bianca and Cassi go to White Castle!!!


I ordered a couple sliders (no cheese) to save for lunch the next day! I heated these up in a skillet at Paul's parents' house and enjoyed with a salad from the Kroger salad bar. Loved them so much that we stopped back at White Castle on the way out of town Monday morning for brunch. Memphis REALLY needs a White Castle. How cool to get a vegan burger at a fast food joint!


After I dropped Cassi off in East Nashville, I headed to Hendersonville to meet up with Paul. Then we grabbed his friend Collin and headed to The Southern V for dinner. This is my favorite restaurant in Nashville! Vegan soul food, yes please. I got the Chicken Fried Chick'n with Mac & Cheese and Green Beans. Mmmmmm.



The next morning, Paul ran his half (and KILLED IT!). So proud of him. 


My lunch was those leftover White Castle sliders, enjoyed while Paul got cleaned up from his run. Then we headed downtown to check into our hotel. We had dinner reservations for a fancy place that I'll dedicate a whole post to tomorrow night. So check back for that!

Let's skip ahead to Sunday. We went to the all-vegan Graze for brunch — our usual spot. They have $5 Bloody Marys on Sundays, so we'll never miss that when I'm in town. 


I ordered the Loaded Potatoes — roasted taters with cashew cheese, sour cream, seitan chorizo (locally made from The BE-Hive in Nashville), and guacamole. These were super good and so filling. 


I was stuffed from brunch, but there was no way I was leaving East Nashville without a vegan doughnut from Five Daughters Bakery (conveniently located around the corner from Graze). I opted for a Maple Glazed Doughnut. Yeasted perfection. Tasted like pancakes.


Dinner on Sunday was Paul's leftovers from The Southern V. He was being a picky eater Friday night since he had the pre-race jitters, so he didn't finish his chicken fried chick'n. I gladly finished it off later in the weekend!

I'll be back tomorrow with a recap of Saturday's date night dinner.

4 comments:

The Student-turned-Doctor said...

Oh, my goodness, that chicken fried chick'n! And the doughnut! Nashville, who knew? I love it when I can find vegan southern food. I'm on a quest to find vegan chicken fried steak somewhere, someday.

I reviewed the White Castle vegan fare on my blog this weekend. They have a veggie burger that's vegan, too. It's pretty cool that I have a fast food place I can go to now, even if I mostly won't because of the drive I have to take to get there.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Paul!! That’s really awesome! And wow- what a weekend of great food. Cheap bloody marys and vegan stuffed potato skins?? Amazing.
I’m actually just a few blocks away from a white castle location- there is no such thing where i grew up so i’ve never been to one before. I just looked and they have both the veggie burger and the impossible burger! Obviously i will be going by soon to get both :))
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

Yay, congrats Paul! That's such an amazing accomplishment! Looks like some really great meals over the whole weekend! I love that White Castle is offering vegan options now. That chicken fried chick'n looks INCREDIBLE!! Holy wow! That coating looks perfect. The donut also looks amazing and the loaded potatoes! Everything I want in my life.

Susan said...

Well done to Paul!

I know a lot of people like to knock vegan options at large chain fast food places, but I say bring it on and the more the merrier! How great that there is a cool option like that while driving.

Potatoes and doughnuts sounds like the perfect way to start a day.