Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sriracha-cha!

Some like it hot and I'm one of them. Ever since I started using sriracha (that's the spicy Thai hot sauce with the rooster on the bottle for the unintiated), I've developed an insane craving for spicier and spicier foods. I think spicy food is a little like tattoos. Once you get a taste, you want more, more, more. And bigger, bigger, bigger.

Long ago, I developed my Some Like It Hot 'n' Spicy T.L.T. Sandwich for my upcoming cookbook, but in testing it again tonight, the amount of heat called for sounded too mild for a "spicy" sandwich. So I upped with the sriracha measurements in the tofu marinade a little, but it can still be prepared as mild as you'd like if you can't take the heat:

As you can see, the "T' in my "T.L.T." is tofu. I know tempeh bacon makes a great sandwich, but everybody does that. I like fat, smoky, marinated, sauteed slices of tofu instead. Oh, and I add avocado, Vegenaise, and extra sriracha because that's just how you do.

Because I can't get enough of the spicy-spicy, I served my sammich with Jalepeno Tortilla Chips made by Food Should Taste Good:

Despite the name and bright-red color, the chips weren't really all that spicy, so I dipped them in Frog Ranch Chipotle Salsa. Needless to say, my nose was running throughout the entire meal ... but it was so, so worth it.

22 comments:

Rachael said...

Hello my name is Rachael and I am a sriracha addict ;)

Shawn said...

Hey. like your style. I thought I was done buying vgn books but your food is so unique. Might be interested in your recipes. I'm a new vegan and am experimenting with raw recipes at the moment. Check out my blog if you want.

The Health Sensei said...

i am in love. with your food!

Lauren said...

I love sriracha! Do you ever read the NYT story on it?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/dining/20united.html

It's kind of funny that it's actually an 'American sauce' and that he was able to break into this market.

Vegan In The VI said...

Avocado & Tofu together at last. In a sandwich. Looks like a hit.

Jessica said...

Some of these brand names crack me up. Food Should Taste Good? I haven't heard of that. As long as it does, great! My least favorite is "If You Care."

Kara Hadley said...

I, too, am a spicy masochist. But no one around me likes anything spicy! Gah!

sara said...

sriracha rules! i gotta make this for my husband -- the hotter the better is his motto.

Sarah S. said...

That sammie is bangin'!

Rikki Cupcake said...

sriracha is my bff. i used to buy a small bottle but now i buy the one that takes a weight lifter to put in my grocery cart. i put mine in a skillet with braggs liquid aminos and fry up some tasty tofu. i am really excited to see your recipe! yum!!

Jessica said...

Thanks for initiating me...I've seen sriracha listed in tons of different recipes, but I was too lazy to investigate it. ;-)

Is sriracha a brand name or the kind of hot sauce? I'll have to check out my grocery store to see if they have it.

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. It sounds delicious!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Eric said...

Sriracha and vegenaise goes so so well together its amazing.

Unknown said...

Yours is the only vegan blog from which I read every new post.

This post and others like it is why.

Sriracha is THE awesome sauce.

I alos like the sambal olek and the chili garlic paste for a little more texture both are also made by Huy Fong.

All very flavorful, but they're only gateway sauces to the true fire.

try dave's insanity sauce or the coup de grace the ghost chili sauce made by Dave's. Its made from the hottest peppers in the world. They average over a million scoville units in every pepper.

Erin said...

Looks like one fantastic sandwich! I like the idea of fat tofu slices too.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love the part about your nose running.

Tami said...

Love, love, love sriracha! It sounds awesome on your TLT, and please pass the kleenex.

Leslie Richman said...

I love Sriracha! That sammich looks awesome. I have noticed that I am making things more and more spicy too...

Kelly said...

I'm totally down with tofu in place of tempeh. That sandwich looks amazing!

Sarah W. said...

If your nose isn't running then it isn't hot enough I always say ;) Looks yummy!

Theresa said...

Your tofu sammie looks so yummy!

River said...

You're on fire! Wow, you make me look like the biggest spice-wimp. The sandwich looks amazing, I love me some fat smokey tofu!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Oh yeah! We're huge fans of Sriracha here. Anytime a stir-fry or similar comes out a little bland, we just fix it up with a little Sriracha.