Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cheater Fajitas

Slaving away for hours in the kitchen, creating everything from scratch, is my form of meditation. I don't do "sitting still" very well so traditional meditation is pretty much out. That's why I don't mind complicated, multi-step recipes. But some nights, I just don't have time for all that.

Last night, I had to go to a Tennessee Department of Transportation meeting for story I'm writing for the newspaper. The meeting lasted from 5 p.m. (right after work) until 7 p.m., leaving me no time to eat dinner. When I got home, I was famished. Something quick and filling was in order. Enter Beefless Veggie Fajitas:

The beefless part is made from Trader Joe's Beefless Strips, which I picked up at the Nashville Trader Joe's on the weekend. Memphis doesn't have a Trader Joe's, so I always pick up a pack of the beefless or chickenless strips when I'm at a TJ's in another city.

I sauteed the gluten-based strips with onion, strips of red bell pepper, and the last of my local squash from Dodson Farms. Then I stirred in a package of McCormick Fajita Seasoning (yes, it contains corn syrup solids ... not my first choice, but it's all Kroger had when I was grocery shopping). I served it up on some warmed corn tortillas with a little roasted tomato salsa and some Daiya cheddar shreds (added after the picture). Dinner was on the table in less than 20 minutes.

A side salad was the perfect accompaniment — romaine, iceberg, fresh corn, summer tomato, cucumber, Craisins, and a low-fat raspberry vinaigrette:

8 comments:

Jacklyn said...

mmm I love Trader Joe's Beef-Less Strips! Their chicken-less strips and pull bbq chick-un is also very yummY!

foodfeud said...

Good for you for even turning on the oven. When I'm tired and starving I usually scoop from the almond butter jar, eat a cherry tomato or five, and call it a night.

The Health Sensei said...

they look phenom! i'm already missing wheat...hard to believe i'll never eat it again as long as i can help it :-/

Vegan In The VI said...

That's a quick & easy meal for you? I'd have to plan in advance for a week to make that. I love Mexican food.

Unknown said...

20 minute meals is my kind of weekday meals!

Sheila said...

WOW! Those look great!

Sarah E. Jahier said...

Just thought I'd let you know how much I LOVE your blog!!

I love it so much I've given you an award:

http://spookyvegan.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-award-happy-101-award.html

Keep up the great (and delicious) work! :)

Jessica said...

Trader Joe's is the best for decent convenience foods. Maybe one day they'll make it to Memphis. Your plate looks fresh and delicious, though, with your salad and vegetables!

I hope you get those two hours back at some point, it sounds like work ended at 7 - not 5. P.S. - my mom says the Flyer is the only paper worth reading in town anymore. So you're getting compliments on all fronts :)