Monday, January 8, 2024

Soups, Stews, and Grits

It's soup season! I'm not a fan of winter, but I do love cozy soups and stews. So, I'm trying to make the best of the cold months by eating plenty of those. One of the coziest meals I've eaten lately was this Skipper Stew from The Little Book of Hygge. 


I've been trying to create more hygge (coziness) in my life, and this book includes all kinds of cozy tips and a few recipes. They are Danish recipes and 100% not vegan. So I've been trying to veganize them. This skipper stew (the American nickname for skipperlabskovs) is made with beef brisket, so I used seitan that I'd made awhile back and froze. Other than seitan, it's just potatoes, vegan butter, spices, and scallions. Really hearty! It's traditionally served with rye bread and pickled beets, so that's what I had.

Here's the Tahini Chickpea Soup from Nava Atlas' Soup for All Seasons. The broth is made with a bunch of tahini, and it's loaded with chickpeas, cabbage, and mushrooms. That old Atlas book is a classic that I pulled down off the shelf for fun!

Another recent soup was Tabitha Brown's Broccoli Cheese Soup from Cooking from the Spirit. The cheese is actually melted vegan shreds, so this was a super cheesy soup. She recommended topping with Kelly's Croutons, which are a staple in my house, so I had to try this!

And another Tab recipe: Cheesy Grits with Sausage. This was a simple and warming breakfast made with grits, vegan shreds, and Field Roast breakfast sausages. I love grits, and I always forget about them as a savory breakfast option. 

2 comments:

NN said...

Mmmm. Soup...

Do you have the Engine 2 Cookbook? If so, the Time Traveler Parsnip soup is amazing! (Tip: double the spices, add 1/4 c whole oats and extra water for the oat milk, and blend only half.)

Anonymous said...

What a yummy looking roundup on this cold and blustery day! I love your dishware and you have inspired me to get new dishes to accommodate soup season. - Sri.