Thursday, January 25, 2024

Oodles of Noodles and Movie Night Snacks!

Last week, Memphis got a rare snow, which was cool for, like, one day. And then that snow lingered for a week! Oh, and on top of that, there was sleet mid-week that added a solid sheet of ice to the streets. So, I stayed home for five days. I have a Subaru, and I know it's built for driving in snowy conditions, but I'm not comfortable driving on ice, especially because Memphis drivers are wild. 

By Saturday, I was going stir-crazy. So, even though there was still a bit of ice on the streets, I made plans with some friends to get dinner at Good Fortune Co. It was brutally cold outside, and I knew hot noodles would hit the spot. I got the Tan Tan Ramen with TVP, bok choy, lime. A favorite for sure!

We also each ordered our own appetizers, so I went with the Potato Dumplings (stuffed with creamy potatoes) and drizzled with a vegan cheesy sauce. This was my first time trying these, and they were excellent, though a little messy. At one point, I bit into one and squirted potatoes into my friend's sake cup. Oops.

Here's a pre-snow Veggie Burrito from El Toro Loco. My Memphis hash group voted to eat at El Toro after a hash run earlier this month. And their menu isn't vegan-friendly. But they have a vegetarian section, so I picked the Veggie Burritos and had them made without cheese. The burritos were stuffed with broccoli, peppers, and mushrooms and were covered in a tasty red sauce. Actually really good!

And finally, on Sunday, Paul and I watched Saltburn on Amazon Prime. WOW!!! After Barbie, I'd say this was definitely the second-best film of 2023. So creepy, so good! I can't believe it didn't get one Oscar nom. I went all out with the movie night snacks: noochy popcorn, Cosmic Chews carrot fruit snacks, a vegan Kit Kat (!!!), homemade elderberry seltzer, and wine. 

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Wait. WHERE did you get the vegan KitKat??? Of heard of them, but have never seen them. I did find vegan Reeses in our grocery store, which I put in the kids' stockings for Christmas. Now I'm looking ahead for Easter basket ideas.
All of this food looks delicious!

Gina said...

I love how reading about your 'movie night' snacks made me feel like a kid, again. Thanks for a fun post.

Anonymous said...

YES! I agree about Barbie and Saltburn! - Sri.