Tuesday, January 21, 2020

No Meat Meet-Up Vegan Potluck #4

I'm interrupting my usual Health Made Simple meal plan recap for a post about this Sunday's amazing No Meat Meet-Up Vegan Potluck at Crosstown Arts!

It was Day 14 on my 4-week whole foods, plant-based meal plan, and I stuck to those parameters throughout the day, but once it was time for the monthly potluck (they're always at 3 pm), I let myself eat all the things. I tend to overeat at potlucks, so I really focused on just trying a small bite of each thing. And I think I did pretty well considering the massive amount of food there. We had about 40 people show up (some were couples, so not quite 40 dishes but definitely 20-something different options!).

I brought the Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry that I was supposed to eat on my Health Made Simple plan. It's made without oil and has lite coconut milk, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and Indian spices. Served over brown rice.


Steven brought some delicious Tofu Pad Thai.


Two people brought Vegan Queso — one was storebought (and made with cauliflower!) and the other was homemade. Both very good!


Shay made her famous Vegan Pizza!


James and Clarita blew us all away with their vegan meaty Million Dollar Spaghetti! They used the new vegan beef from Simple Truth Organic, and it was very, very meaty. Would have fooled any meat eater!


Jen & Simon brought some fantastic Kimchi Fried Rice using homemade kimchi (made by our friend Stephanie). 


Someone brought Roasted Veggies, a welcome addition to my plate of dips and carbs!


There was an amazing Vegan Challah Bread!! So soft and sweet. 


There was Bhel Puri!! My favorite Indian snack!


And a man who arrived later brought this mind-blowing, veggie-filled African Stew. We had a lot of late-comers, and I was so full by the time they arrived. But I still tried small bites of everything. I did fail to get pics of many of the late dishes though. There was a great enchilada casserole, Daiya cheesecake, raw crackers with guac, pasta salad, and more!


My very favorite thing were my friend/co-worker Lily's Vegan Donuts from her vegan donut company, Darling Donuts! I had half of a cherry coconut donut and half of a (not pictured) maple stick donut.



Here's my first plate! And yes, there was a second plate, but it was much smaller.


What a great potluck!! If you're local, the next one should be Sunday, February 16 at 3 pm at the cafe at Crosstown Arts. Bring a dish to share and let's eat!

8 comments:

Hillary said...

That sounds like such a wonderful time! And it seems like most of the food follows your plan!
I wish I lived nearby!

Éphée Lafée said...

What a feast!

Blake Fraina said...

Hey Bianca. Everything looks amazing. And I don't mean to be a jerk, but I just Googled "Simple Truth Organic" (because I'm always on the look-out for new and convincing faux meat products) and that company sells real beef. Kroger Supermarkets has a "Simple Truth" line of vegan products, but there's no "Organic" in the name and I didn't see any ground "meat.". As your friends sure they didn't use real meat by accident?

Bianca said...

Hey Blake! It was definitely vegan! These are long-time vegans! And sorry for use of the word "Organic." Just googled, and Simple Truth (Kroger's natural brand, which makes both organic and non-organic products) does in fact make plant-based beef under the name Simple Truth Emerge Plant-Based Grind. I didn't realize it wasn't in the organic line, but it's the same company. They also sell beef and non-vegan products, but Simple Truth has an awesome line of vegan stuff.

rÉvolution Végane said...

It was an absolutely amazing potluck! The guac from Hunter was made with sesame oil - outstanding combination! And yes, that bread was a hit, everyone at our table raved about it. Very happy I got the recipe!

Susan said...

This looks amazing! So many wonderful things to eat.

Cadry's Kitchen said...

Oh, my gosh! What a spread! It looks like everyone went all out.

Anton said...

Hi, I will be sharing this post with my friends on Facebook. This is great for brainstorming ideas about what to cook for vegans when running out of ideas. Thanks for sharing.