Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Health Made Simple for Athletes, Days 15-16

Our offices at Crosstown Arts were closed for MLK Day on Monday, so I slept in (Mondays are also workout rest days for me) and made pancakes!! These Whole Grain Pancakes on the Health Made Simple meal plan are made with no white flour (just oat and chickpea flour). I added strawberries to the batter and topped with additional berries.


Morning snack was an apple (chopped and covered with ground flax seed). And lunch was a bowl of Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry over brown rice. When I made this for Sunday's vegan potluck, I saved a serving for the next day's lunch.


In the afternoon, I treated myself to my first-ever manicure (!!!) at Gloss Nail Bar. I had a glass of wine there. Later in the afternoon, I prepped a snack to take along on my grocery trip. I had these Bell Peppers with Tahini Dressing in the car.


Dinner on Monday was a hearty, warming bowl of Black Bean Tortilla Soup made with toasted corn tortillas, tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Plus, avocado and lime juice on top!


Since it was a holiday, I treated myself to an Old Fashioned cocktail for a night cap, made with Memphis-made Blue Note bourbon.

On Tuesday morning, I was supposed to do an 8-mile run, but for the first time in weeks, the temps dipped down into the 20s. And I just wasn't ready for all that. I knew it'd be warmer in the afternoon, so I moved my workout to the evening. That meant sleeping in and then having this Mixed Fruit Smoothie (just banana, blueberries, cranberries, and mandarin orange — no nuts, greens, or protein) before heading off to work.


Morning snack at my desk was Whole Wheat Crackers with Peanut Butter. I went to yoga at the YMCA in my building at 11 am, so this was nice fuel.


Lunch was leftover tortilla soup, and in the afternoon, I snacked on a bowl of apples and mandarin oranges, plus a Simple Truth Date Bar right before my run at 5ish (it was about 10 degrees warmer then, good choice!). After my run, I refueled with some tart cherry juice, and then got to work on dinner. 

This Buffalo Tofu Ranch Wrap is probably one of my favorite recipes on Health Made Simple! It has baked tofu, cashew ranch (with hot sauce mixed in), celery, tomato, lettuce, and pickled onion on a whole wheat wrap. On the side, I baked a Purple Sweet Potato (locally grown!) and topped it with nooch and salsa.


2 comments:

Hillary said...

You are really eating some tasty food, I would never guess you're on any kind of health plan!
The buffalo tofu wrap sounds really delicious! I might have to try that with my gluten free wraps.

Jennifer said...

Cold weather can be such a bummer for running. Like the summer I have to run first thing to avoid the heat, then winter I have to run in the afternoon to take advantage of the sun. It got too hectic with a kid, and couldn't get use to shuffling a schedule around each season lol