Thursday, October 25, 2018

Health Made Simple, Day 24

Another successful day on Health Made Simple (and this one involved doughnuts and vodka!). The the day started with my usual Wednesday morning spinning class at the Y. Before a morning workout, I typically have a Larabar, some dates, or another whole foods-based light snack. This time, that was two Emmy's Organics coconut macaroons. One was vanilla bean and the other cacao — both made with coconut flakes and agave.


I've refined my pre- and post-workout quite a bit since starting Health Made Simple a few weeks ago. Before, I would often have a Clif bar or some other high-sugar, highly processed food bar. I'm now understanding that not all sugars are made the same, and while a high-carb snack is good before a workout, the best one is made from whole, natural foods. I've also refined my post-workout! 

Before, I thought I needed a ton of post-workout protein. But according to Sid and Matt on Health Made Simple, it's more important to have a high-carb snack immediately following a workout. They recommend a banana, fruit juice, or white rice. I'll take any excuse to enjoy white rice, so that's what I've been having — with a little soy sauce for flavor and some toasted sesame seed for fat. Sorry for the bad photo, but the sun hadn't risen yet. My days start very early (4:30 am yesterday!).


So that's how most of my days have been starting — fruit/nut-based snack and white rice. I follow the rice snack immediately with coffee and then with my morning smoothie about an hour later. Yesterday, that was a Green Fruit Flax Smoothie (apple, flax, banana, spinach). I forgot to take a pic!

Morning snack was another fruit bowl (and I forgot to photograph that too!). Andddddd .... well, also a Pumpkin Spice Brioche Doughnut!


Not on the plan obviously but our pastry chef at Today & Always (the eatery inside Crosstown Arts) made vegan doughnuts so I had to have one. I will never let a doughnut opp pass me by. But I did something I'm very proud of. I cut the doughnut in half and enjoyed half. And then I stopped to reflect on how I felt. I asked myself if I was satisfied or if I needed more, and honestly, all that sugar made me feel a little wonky (despite how great it tasted!). So I figured half was plenty, and I GAVE THE OTHER HALF AWAY! That's a big step for me. I'm learning not only how to listen to my body (hello, intuitive eating!) but also how to share food (something I've never been good at).

Lunch was a leftover Dressed-Up Southwest Baked Potato with black beans, cilantro, scallion, jalapeno, nooch, and salsa. Very good. Very filling! My co-workers were very impressed with this lunch. 


We had Crosstown Running Crew at 5:30 pm, so I rushed home and downed a quick meal plan snack of Whole Wheat Crackers with Hummus & Veggies.


I'm still not able to run (SADNESS), but I organize our running crew, so I had to be there. My friend Megan, who typically comes to run with us, is nursing an injury too. So she and I rented Explore Bike Share bikes and rode (while everyone else ran!). Afterward, we always hit up a bar in Crosstown Concourse, and last night, that was Art Bar (the new bar inside Crosstown Arts, where I work). I enjoyed one very delicious Dirty Martini.


I love being able to enjoy a few drinks or a dessert without guilt! Knowing that the rest of my day is filled with veggies and fruit makes me feel pretty darn good about a martini and a half a doughnut!

After drinks, I went home to make a quick meal plan dinner of this Orange Tofu Tahini Wrap with a side salad. This recipe sounded very weird (baked tofu, tahini sauce, mandarin oranges, red cabbage, lettuce, and pickled onions stuffed into a wrap), but the flavors paired SO WELL together. Will definitely be making this again after this meal plan wraps up!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

My schedule has been more flexible for a while but i will soon resume very early morning workouts as well- and i am VERY into the idea of a carb centric post workout snack! Will definitely try this myself for a few weeks.
Those emmy’s macaroons are so good....! I love that they’re widely available now.
I am envious of your lunch today too- i adore stuffed baked potatoes, such a delicious filling meal. As a kid we would have stuffed baked potatoes for dinner once in a while, it was one of my favorite meals! I always went for (vegetarian) baked beans and steamed broccoli with scallions.
Ttrockwood

Hillary said...

Your stuffed baked potato is giving me potato envy. I love stuffing a potato and making it a meal!!
And that wrap sounds delicious! I love all kinds of unusual flavors and textures coming together in harmony!

Sarah said...

That potato, yum!! That donut is seriously incredible. I haven't had a donut since going vegan which is ridiculous. This meal plan is seriously great, I love the variety and flexibility. Those coconut macaroons are soooooo good! I've only tried one or two flavors, I need to change that :)

Jonathan Remsa said...

I remember reading some people prefer simple carbs post workout- in particular with cardio workouts like running. I don't think I ever CRAVED something protein heavy right after a workout, so it kind-of makes sense to me.

MikeG said...

I love anything with potatoes!

The tofu wrap sounds like it was burrsting with flavor.

I definitely want to try the new Art Bar.

I thought it was only open to artist residents.