Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Stuff I Ate

Some random things I ate!

I've had okra in my CSA for weeks, and I was running out of ideas (I'd air-fried it, sauteed it, pickled it, gumbo-ed it, and added it to veggie soup). But my friend Melissa suggested using some in the Baked Potato & Okra Hash from Thug Kitchen. The potatoes and cornmeal-breaded okra were roasted in the oven with garlic and spices. This made a great breakfast alongside some toast with superfruit jam.


Paul and I had a spaghetti night last Monday. Usually, when we make spaghetti, he sautes the mushrooms, and I make a homemade sauce. But I had a Crosstown Memphis CDC meeting after work, so we had to rush. So jarred sauce to the rescue! Paul still made his famous mushrooms though (not sure what he uses to season but I know it involves LOTS of Earth Balance). I topped my pasta with some chunks of Miyoko's Creamery vegan mozz. Oh, and I had Explore Cuisine chickpea protein spaghetti (Paul opted for whole wheat instead).


Last Wednesday, I took off work to finish up a freelance project. And since I wrapped up early, I decided to drive downtown and visit my old Memphis Flyer co-workers in their new office space. After I chatted in the office, a few of us went to Las Margaritas (just a few blocks from their office) for happy hour margs with chips and salsa. And that was my dinner! (okay, I did make a salad when I got home to make sure I got my veggies in).


I got a bunch of vegan frozen meals on clearance at Kroger a couple weeks back, and one was an Amy's spaghetti & vegan meatballs dish. I took it to work for lunch one day, but it was far too small to be my meal by itself. And, while delicious, it was far too ugly to be photographed for this blog. But I picked up this lovely Kale & Quinoa Salad from Juice Bar in Crosstown Concourse as a side!


Speaking of those frozen meals, I also grabbed some Nature's Path gluten-free Dark Chocolate Chip Waffles. I really love frozen waffles (they remind me of childhood! Eggos!), but I rarely buy them because they're tiny and not enough for a meal. But I made some homemade Tempeh Sausage from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook to eat on the side, along with some local peach slices.


More randomness tomorrow!

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Paul needs to write down a recipe for these mushrooms! I've been reading about them for years and I must try them!
That kale salad looks so pretty and delicious!

Sarah said...

I have to agree with vegan peace, I need to know more about those mushrooms!!! Waffles and vegan sausage is one of my favorite breakfast for dinner meals :) I've never tried okra but I'm so curious!!

Unknown said...

Yes, i think Paul needs to do a mushrooms recipe guest post! I lovelovelove mushrooms every possible way :))
Nice find on the frozen vegan meals! Although yeah, on the rare occasion have had one i wanted a side veggie. Happy hour is all about drinks and snacky food for dinner!! Just met my friend the other day for happy houring with sangria and lots of pan con tomate.
Ttrockwood