Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pick-Up Stix

Anyone remember that game? Pick-up sticks? Yep, that shows my age. I was also fond of Barrel of Monkeys and Hungry, Hungry Hippo. Anyway, this post isn't about retro games. It's about my tasty new Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu Stix:

This is another recipe for my cookbook. Though I was tempted to fry these chicken-flavored tofu strips, I opted for baking so they'd be a little healthier. I'm sure they'd fry up really nice though. I'm trying to strike a good balance between fried food and healthier alternatives in my Southern vegan cookbook. I know the value of a battered, fried slab of tofu. Trust me, I live for the moments I can nosh on deep-fried goodness. But I have to watch my girlish figure, so some of my recipes are done up healthy-style.

These stix were fun finger food, and I tried dipping them in barbecue sauce, ketchup, maple-Dijon mustard, and marinara. Marinara was my fave.

I served the stix with my Dirty (South) Rice — also going in the cookbook:

It's a fusion of traditional dirty rice and classic Mexican rice. In case you don't know, dirty rice is a Cajun specialty typically made with chicken liver or giblets. Um, yuck. Mine is obviously giblet-free (what the hell is a giblet anyway?). But it has a little Cajun spicy kick.

Here's the whole plate:

In the far right corner is my Caramelized Brussels Pecan Saute, a cookbook recipe that still needs a little tweaking. Guess I've got lots more Brussels sprouts in my future.

On another note, Radioactive Vegan won the Etre the Cow novella giveaway. She had the first comment! For some reason, random.org has been picking the low numbers lately. Congrats Radioactive Vegan.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy yummy yummy. I want tofu sticks in my tummy!

LisaMarie said...

This sounds so good I think I'm gonna try it tonight!!

Anonymous said...

Bianca!

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! I think you and your recipes are just so freaking rad!

THANK YOU!
Kristine

Anonymous said...

Tofu sticks are a favourite around the Fish household. I'm sure your recipe will be great, too! Hourrah for Radioactive Vegan, too.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Those looks AWESOME! I love crispy coated tofu any which way. But the scene stealer for me is that gorgeous rice, it looks so creamy and perfect. I'm not so patiently waiting for your cookbook...

Lauren said...

Those sticks look awesome!
On another note, we (or Eric) has to go pick up the cookbook he won from the post office, but on the note they left it just said "from sender Crunk." Made me laugh.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

The dirty (south) rice is calling my name. And those stix look incredible, too. I can't wait for your cookbook to come out- it's going to be a major player in my attempt to get more Texans into vegan food.

Lindsay I-F said...

I am salivating! Everything looks amazing! I really want brussels sprouts now!

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

They look so good! When I saw the pic I was thinking those french toast sticks my mom used to buy by the case. :) I can't wait for your cookbook, but you must get tired of hearing that from all of us!!

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

all that wonderful food - I'm weak in the knees for it! Looks more than merely delicious - seems to me to be a few slices of heaven with a side of contentment.

dreaminitvegan said...

That dirty rice looks delish. I love cornmeal crusted tofu.

Erin said...

I used to love all three of those games! Ahhh, the days before kids had laptops and cell phones. Your tofu sticks look awesome! And I wouldn't mind a future filled with brussels sprouts :)

Dianne said...

um, wow. The variety of textures in that dinner look amazing. I'm excited to see the brussels recipe, too!

Pure2raw twins said...

YUM! I do not usually eat tofu, but I would take a bite out this crunchy coated one ; )

Marja @ StuckInYourBeard said...

Holy Moly, that all looks so good. Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite things!

Anonymous said...

Anything in stick form is fun to eat! :) I'd like to try them with Annie's Maple BBQ sauce!

Vegan In The VI said...

I am getting the feeling that MY cookbook is gonna come out before yours, and I've never created a single original recipe!

T said...

Oh wow, this is like soul food heaven. I want that plate NOW!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Holy crap, I want those stix!