Monday, April 12, 2010

Wrap Up

A few weeks ago, the folks at Tumaro's Tortillas sent me a few samples of their massive flavored tortilla wraps. Though I love a good sandwich, I'm a huge fan of the wrap. There's something about eating your sammich fillin's burrito-style that excites my inner-Mexican food lovin' child. And here lately, I've had trouble finding a decent wrap that isn't a) too small to hold all my fillin', b) loaded with white flour, or c) too healthy-tasting for its own good. A recent experience with Ezekial sprouted grain wraps left much to be desired.

Now, the Tumaro's Tortillas aren't perfect in the ingredient department. Some contain enriched bleached flour, partially hydrogenated oils, and other unpronounables. But at least the vegan flavors are clearly marked with a "V," and the chewy, soft texture is spot on. They come in 8" and 10" inch sizes, so they're certain to hold all your stuff.

My favorite flavor out of the three samples was the 10-inch Black Bean Wrap. I loved the dark color, and it was the perfect vessel for this Hummus Veggie Wrap:

I loaded the wrap with Cedar's Roasted Garlic and Chive Hummus, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, green olives, and radish sprouts. And then I topped all that with spicy sriracha:

I also loved the 8-inch Multigrain Wrapable. It's advertised as "low in carbs," which I could care less about (carbs are fuel, people! eat them!). But it felt a little healthier thanks to the addition of oat fiber, soy flour, and whole wheat flour. I used the wrap for a quick Peanut Butter, Banana, and Agave Breakfast Wrap:

The other sample Tumaro sent was in a mysterious, clear plastic sealed bag with no label. I've tried emailing the nice lady who offered to send the samples to find out what the flavor is, but I haven't heard back. It looks (and tastes) a little like Whole Wheat, and they do offer a 10-inch whole wheat wrap ... so that's what I'll assume for now.

I used the mystery wrap for a gigantuan Brown Rice & TVP Burrito:

Brown rice, beefy-flavored TVP (a basic recipe from my cookbook), Daiya cheddar shreds, avocado, tomato, lettuce, and salsa. Mmmm ... wholesome and oh so filling!

Even though Tumaro's uses a few ingredients I'm not crazy about, I'd buy them anyway. Probably not all the time. But taste-wise and texture-wise, these are best wraps I've tried. Move over, Ezekial.

23 comments:

Belle said...

That first wrap looks amazing! I'm so going to try that soon.

The Voracious Vegan said...

You are the queen of the wrap, these look SO absolutely scrumptious! I love wraps, too, they beat sandwiches every time all the time.

Lucky you for getting to sample those wraps, the black bean one looks the best to me.

Millie said...

So nice...I just made 24 homemade tortillas last Saturday and they went very fast with my Son & his family. I also wondered if you would like to try these tortillas as a testing recipe for me. If you or any of your readers would like to try them, please leave me a comment on my blog. Thank you Bianca.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Those look delicious! I love all things wrap; Throw anything in a tortilla and it's instantly better. :P

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've stopped by and I must say- it was the name that drew me in. What is your definition for crunk? [[is vegan "crazy drunk" an oxymoron?]] haha thanks!
Katherine
whataboutsummer

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! Never heard of the brand before but might have to check them out....

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Those wraps look yummy!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

That black bean wrap is just downright gorgeous. Adios Ezekiel!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love said...

Those are some bad ass looking wraps. Love it!

Babette said...

The hummus wrap and the burrito look fantastic. It's true large wraps are hard to find!

jessy said...

jeebus, Bianca - you've got all of the wraps stuffed full of soooo much yumminesses! oooooh, squeeeeeeeee! before my gluten-free adventure i had tried those ezekiel wraps and i wasn't exactly fond of them either. meh. they make a brown rice wrap that i can use now, but i really miss the texture of the gluten ones (and i need to develop my own g-f wrap recipe!). while the ingredients aren't the best in the tumaro's burritos, they sound most excellent and i think that it's okay to eat some not-the-best-for-ya yummies that are still waaaaay better than some of the things people eat/used to eat (and trust me, i ate some crap back in the day. don't get me started on my 2 double cheeseburgers + 8 piece chicken nuggets + large fries + diet coke binges. i kid you not, i used to cram all of that in my face. i'm not proud and am shuddering now just thinking back upon it. ugh.). i'd also like to say, HOOOOORAY for carbs (i am always seeing those low-carb wraps 'n such around). they get a bad rap (pun totally intended), and i LOVE me some carbs! i work out a ton and carbs = my happyfaced friend. tasty, tasty fuel. amen!

Anonymous said...

the breakfast wrap looks so amazing! pretty funny about the mystery one, too. so sketchy! haha

dreaminitvegan said...

Awesome wraps! Doesn't everything taste better wrapped up! lol!

Gina said...

For some reason, I read the first part as saying that you were NOT a huge fan of wraps...and I rubbed my eyes and read again...and rubbed my eyes and read yet again....and then apparently my vision was restored and I saw that you are indeed a huge fan of wraps. Yummy!!

Anonymous said...

Wow these all look so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I wish my wraps looked as good as yours. Mine never stay together like that. (I think it's the stupid tortillas I buy, they break too easily) A black bean tortilla sounds yummy. I've never seem those anywhere. Do they actually taste like black beans?

Anonymous said...

Oh the wrappy goodness! I'm so craving wraps right now. I like the idea of the breakfast wrap. Yummmyness. We love bananas, so I think we should give it a try!

amymylove said...

do you really like radish sprouts? i have sprouted my own alfalfa sprouts which are amazing and chia sprouts which i thought were that nastiest thing ever... they were really bitter and kinda tasted like what i think grass would taste like (never tried it LOL)... have you tried chia sprouts? if so did u like them? sorry trying to see if we have similar tastes LOL. Thanx, Amy

Anonymous said...

This post and it's beautiful post has single handedly confirmed that I should whip out that last random wrap I have sitting in the fridge and pull together something delicious for breakfast. You are so creative!

Heymeejeel said...

Once again your post is informative,yummy and funny all "wrapped" into one. Tee hee

I'm also now looking at my bagel beginning to think it's too healthy tasting. I want that banana agave wrap instead. Next grocery trip it shall be mine!

Michal said...

Your wraps look delicious, especially your banana, peanut butter, agave combination. Funny with me being on the go in the mornings I have never thought of making a breakfast wrap. I bet that would taste super yummy warmed up a little bit or grilled.

Vegan In The VI said...

Fantastic wrap ideas! I needed these!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

*drool* Thanks for the reviews! I have a hard time finding tortillas that have decent ingredients but don't taste like feet. I bought a tortilla press last year but it doesn't really get the tortillas flat enough.