Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sarah Kramer Does It Again!

Not to get all gushy and vegan celeb-worship-y, but I love Sarah Kramer! My first vegan cookbook was Garden of Vegan, years before I actually went all the way with the dairy-free, egg-free purge. These days, Sarah's purdy face graces my kitchen wall in her 2010 Go Vegan wall calendar.

Each month features one delicious vegan recipe, and I'm cooking each month-by-month ... because I'm nerdy like that. April's installment is Matthew's Spicy Tomato, Peanut, and Kale Pasta:

I'm not sure who Matthew is, but he came up with a damn good pasta recipe. And easy as pie too. Actually easier than pie!

The sauce is made with canned tomato juice, peanut butter, and fresh local kale. Oh, and a little sriracha. That's it. I served the creamy, fiery sauce over whole wheat pasta shells and a small side salad made with local veggies from the farmer's market. Vegweb lists a version of the recipe here, though it's not exactly the same as the one listed in the calendar (for example, the Vegweb recipe calls for flax seed, but Sarah's does not). It's pretty close though.

If you haven't entered the Etre the Cow giveaway, it's not too late. Enter here. Contest ends Thursday at 10 a.m. CST.

17 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Peanuts, tomato and kale!? I'd have never thought of that, but the dish looks awesome. I'm on it.

Sarah Kramer said...

Awww shucks. :)

Belle said...

That looks sooo good!

Vegan Tv Presenter said...

I swear this is one of my staples, so simple but absolutely lovely!

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Yum, anything with kale is a win for me, but this sounds especially yummy!

Dianne said...

wow, what a cool combo! The consistency reminds me of penne a la vodka, but I'm sure it tastes nothing like it.

Tanya said...

That looks awesome! I'm happy with anything that has kale and tomatoes in it :)

Vegan In The VI said...

Looks fun and delicious. Thanks for the link!

Lindsey said...

I love Sarah Kramer too! :D How could one not?

Now I wish I would have gotten one. Making each recipe month by month sounds like fun. I hope she comes out with one for 2011!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, who knew?!

Unknown said...

YAY! I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one cooking her way through Sarah's calendar. I made april's recipe last week and LOVED it! Bianca - love your blog. thank you for all the inspiration. And, Sarah thank you for your books, your calendar, your blog/vlog - girrrrl, you are genius!!!

two vegan boys said...

It's funny you mention licorice, because I HATE it. Seriously, anise is not even allowed in our home. Barf! I never even made the connection of fennel and licorice. It smelled really good roasting and Josh who is a licorice-hater as well, loved the soup.

Jenny said...

I've made peanut sauce so many times, but never thought to combine it with tomatoes. I've done almonds and tomatoes... gotta try this soon.

Lele said...

I love kale with pasta! I saute it with some olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes and toss it with my noodles and a creamy PUMPKIN sauce. It is bliss.

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter AND kale in one recipe? I already love it.

miss v said...

i admit that those ingredients sound a little oddball together. peanut butter, tomato juice, pasta and kale? of course, some kitchen sink recipes rock my socks off, so i guess i have to try it!

Leslie Richman said...

I've been having a renewed love affair with Vegan A Go-Go lately myself!