Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hungry Jill!

When I was a kid, my mom liked to make this delicious casserole recipe that she'd copied down from a Hungry Jack biscuit ad in a magazine. Melty cheddar cheese topped baked beans and browned hamburger meat, while Hungry Jack biscuits (cut into half-moon shapes) lined the sides of the casserole dish. As it baked, the biscuits would plump up, and I remember them tasting so flaky and delicious mixed in with bites of cheesy beans.

A couple years ago, I veganized that recipe for my cookbook. I'm calling it Hungry Jill Casserole, and I've blogged about it before. But I'm in the tweaking stage of my cookbook, working and re-working recipes to make sure they're where I want them to be. My Pyrex casserole dish looks a little funky here since the melted Daiya burned a bit on the sides:

But I can assure y'all it tasted delicious. This was the first time I made the dish using Daiya (last time, I used cheddar Teese), and the melty factor was way impressive. Daiya really does achieve that same stringy, melty quality of dairy cheese. And it really tastes like dairy cheese. In fact, the taste reminds me of the low-fat dairy cheese my mom used to buy in the 1980s.

My recipe relies on my own whole wheat butter-soymilk biscuits rather than the canned variety my mom used to make this dish when I was a kid. The homemade tender, flaky biscuits are the perfect complement to the tangy-sweet barbecue beans and faux cheese. Of course, the cheese is optional (as it is in most of my recipes) if you're not into vegan cheeses. But that's just crazy talk. :-)

15 comments:

Mandiee said...

Wow, with every recipe picture you post, I get more an more excited about your cookbook! Do you know when it will be coming out? I love the idea of soymilk biscuts (which would probably become almond milk for me, but still, YUM)!

Have a lovely day!
xox

Anonymous said...

That really does look amazing!

radioactivegan said...

That looks really good. I wish I could get my hands on some Daiya!

Anonymous said...

oh lordyyyy. just want to tell you, when i graduate in a month, i'll be a good tester again!!

Megan said...

This looks so good! I'm all about some veganized childhood favorites.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oh wow....This looks AMAZING! I NEED to try Daiya, it looks and sounds so good. Seriously, Biana, this looks totally delicious.

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Woah, that looks amazing! And gotta love Daiya!

Vegan In The VI said...

I need to find that damn Daiya!!!

jessy said...

the combination of yum going on in the hungry jill casserole sounds soooo gooood, Bianca! i can't wait to test it out. before i was vegan i wasn't that into cheese, but now that i'm vegan i'm loooving all the different cheeze out there. i like daiya, teese, FYH, and i find those dr. cow cheeze to be outta this world! bring on the cheezy goodness. yay!

Gina said...

Sounds super yummy Bianca!! Can't wait for this book of yours!

Sarah S. said...

I recently bought some teese and I'm not super impressed, sad! I wanted to love it, especially since it is manufactured about 10 miles from my house. I want to try daiya next, looks great!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Yum that looks delicious! I can't wait to see your cookbook :)

dreaminitvegan said...

That totally looks like something we ate as a kid. My mom was always using Bisquick! lol!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Whoa, I've never had a casserole like that. It looks GOOD!

Anonymous said...

I am making this TONIGHT.