Monday, April 19, 2010

Bagel Time

I've never been to New York. Not that I wouldn't love to go. But for some reason, I've never traveled to the Northeast. That means I've never had a real bagel. I've only had cheap imitations, mostly from the frozen food aisle. The occasional bakery bagel around here doesn't compare to a real NY bagel, I'm certain. But I trust that native New Yorker Isa Chanda Moskowitz knows how to make an authentic bagel, so when I want good bagels, I make her recipe from Vegan Brunch:

Granted, I sub out whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose in the recipe, and I'm sure that makes my version less than authentic. But they're still damn tasty. And chewy the way I imagine a proper bagel should be.

I ate these for breakfast all week last week. Made a big ole batch and froze half for thawing out each day. I served them with Isa's version of Vegetable Cream Cheese:

It's just Tofutti whipped up with diced celery, carrots, and red bell pepper. I topped each dressed bagel with a sprinkle of Cavendar's Greek Seasoning (because I LOVE this stuff!). Perfect weekday breakfast.

Now maybe someday I'll get a chance to travel to New York to compare. For now, Isa's bagels are the best I've had.

Don't forget to enter the American Vegan Kitchen cookbook giveaway. Click here for details!

18 comments:

Hayley said...

That looks so yummy! I definitely need to get off my pocketbook and order Vegan Brunch.

Mandiee said...

I never knew she had a bagel recipe! I guess I might have to get that book now. I'm convinced Isa can do no wrong so I can only imagine how wonderful these are.

Have a lovely day!
xox

Miss Kitchen Witch said...

Hey! I just made bagels yesterday!
Yum yum!

I always plan on freezing some, but
bread never lasts long in our house.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...honestly that looks just as good as any NYC bagel I've ever had. Making me hungry!

miss v said...

i freakin' love bagels. i have never actually made them, but i bet they are awesome. is that recipe in vegan brunch?

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love bagels and I love NYC! It's true, they really do have the best bagels...but these look like they could give them a run for the money! They turned out so perfectly and I love how you topped them. What a great breakfast!

Millie said...

I love bagels and I sure miss those Jewish bagels from Times Square and throughout the entire Ny area...Jewish bagels are the best. I was raised in NY and all the Jewish bakeries have the best bagels ever. If you ever get to NY go to a Jewish Bakery, you will want to bring home a load of them.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Vegan In The VI said...

A Bagel w/Cream Cheese is so delicious.

That is all.

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Those bagels look so good; in fact, my stomach just growled reading your post! I've got to get Vegan Brunch!

Mihl said...

Yum, I'm craving bagels now!

jessy said...

your bagels are perfect, Bianca! and they sell lots of chewy and super delicious whole wheat bagels in NY! i might have to drool over some next weekend when i'm there. :) NY is super fun, but for me it's kinda overwhelming - so a visit for just about 3 days is perfect. i'm kinda a country girl and the big city can be too much for me sometimes. dan and i made bagles once about a year ago and i haven't made them since. i think i'm gonna have to make some for him & freeze 'em up, too. i'm also gonna check out that cavendar's greek seasoning - it sounds delicious!

Stella said...

Yum Bianca, that bottom photo is making want to eat again! I went down the page and your food looks so good by the way!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

I went to New York last year and ate my fair share of bagels but yours in the photo there looks pretty good to me! I haven't had many bagels since I went vegan so I will have to try it :)

T said...

I've made these two and they've become my go-to recipe! Everyone loves them, and I think they are a perfectly suitable exchange for when you can't get NY bagels (like, um, here in Europe.)

two vegan boys said...

I love bagels. Having a husband from the East Coast, he knows bagels. Isa's are great.

And your friend not loving sweets. That's crazy talk. But then again, I know a lady who doesn't like chocolate. What! Insane I tell you. :)

Jill said...

Wow! Those bagels look amazing! We have lots of them in Canada but they're never vegan because of the egg and butter. It seems so intimidating to make you're own but the results look worth it. I'm visiting NYC next week and will try to eat a bagel for you :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

yum they look awesome. I haven't made bagels for ages or tried isa's recipe. I'll have to have a go at making them.

Anonymous said...

I'd eat your bagel over a NY one any day, Bianca! :)