Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Peanut Butter + Oats + Buttercream = True Love

I've been working on my Southern vegan cookbook for a few years now, and for some reason, I've saved the dessert development for last. I have plenty of recipes for the other sections (breakfasts, soups, entrees, etc.), but I'm still hard at work inventing new cookies, cakes, and pies.

My latest creation may be one of my favorites so far. Behold the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cream Pie:

I knew I wanted an oatmeal cream pie recipe because that seems pretty darn Southern. And I'd been contemplating developing a peanut butter oatmeal cookie until a quick glance through the Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar index revealed that Isa and Terry had already tackled that one. I wanted to make something original.

And then it hit me. Why not combine the peanut butter oatmeal cookie idea with the cream pie? Amazingly, these came out pretty darn good on the first try. They were quickly gobbled up by my co-workers, but thankfully, I saved a few for myself at home.

Clarification: Just to be clear, I did not consult the recipe from VCIYCJ. In fact, I only saw it listed in the index. I used a non-vegan oatmeal cookie recipe, veganized it, added PB, and made a few other changes. I only looked through VCIYCJ to see if there was already a PB Oatmeal recipe. I know better than to try and improve on anything from Isa and Terry. :-)

Two announcements:
  • The Middle Tennessee State University Raiders Against Animal Cruelty has launched it's 2010 College Veg Pledge campaign. They're trying to get thousands of college students to sign up and pledge to try a vegetarian diet for the month of May. I'm not in college anymore, so I don't know a lot of students. But I'll bet some of you guys do! Sign up on the Veg Pledge website and spread the word.
  • Don't forget to enter my American Vegan Kitchen cookbook giveaway. I'll be choosing two lucky random winners on Thursday. Click here for details.

16 comments:

Sarah (GF vegan) said...

Oh my, these look awesome. Anything with peanut butter in and I'm sold!

lmparrillo said...

Do you have any recommendations for making dairy-free cream like that without using soy products? I've been struggling big time.

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

Oatmeal and peanut butter and cookies all together? You are my hero!
But you already were anyways :)

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Yum- these look fabulous! My grandma always used to keep the package oatmeal cream pies on hand when I was a kid, but these look way better. Plus, vegan!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

OMG let me at those!

jessy said...

oats + peanut butter + buttercream really does = true love! **swoon**

i put a big dollop of pb on my oats in the morning and i can imagine how glorious this would be in cookie form, and how even more over-the-top-amazing it would be with buttercream. i am so superexcitedfaced to test these out, Bianca! yay! and thanks for the heads up on the Veg Pledge - i'm gonna let my friends know, fo 'sho.

Dianne said...

Oh my goodness. These look so much better than those cream pies I've been buying. Can't wait for the book!

Vegan In The VI said...

They're like those Little Debbie cookies. How much longer till the cookbook is ready?

Mary said...

Oh my god I want that frosting all over my face.

Rikki Cupcake said...

holy cow those look like heaven!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm mama likey!

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to the PB-oatmeal cookies from that book. Turning them into sandwich cookies is genius!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Aaaah, YUM!!! This looks perfect. I want to inhale 20 of them after my shitty day at work today! (Stress eating? What? Who, me?)

Theresa said...

Yum, peanut butter anything is a favourite of mine, but add buttercream and I want it now.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, what's the filling made out of?

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That looks AWESOME!