Monday, June 30, 2008

Oodles of Noodles

I finally made the Chickpea Noodle Soup from the Veganomicon:


I've been planning on making this for almost a week now. I even cooked the dried chickpeas last Wednesday morning in preparation because I thought I was going to make it that night. But then Wes brought me dinner, so those plans were gleefully cast aside. Then, I just got all busy-like, so I froze the cooked peas.

I can definitely say this soup was worth the wait. With chickpeas, soba noodles, carrots, mushrooms, miso, and kale, it's super-healthy. But it tastes more like comfort food than health food. By the way, the kale was an add-in suggested in the variations box. It wasn't part of the original recipe, but I felt like it needed some green.

This soup would be perfect for a sick day. But I'm not sick and it still tastes wonderful.

16 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

i've made that several times and it's easily one of my favorite soups!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try this! It sounds so comforting.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I've been meaning to make this. You're definitely bumping it up the To Do list.

The Voracious Vegan said...

This really does look like an amazing soup. Isn't it great when something is super tasty AND healthy?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That soup definitely looks like it was worth the wait - yum!!

I saw your comment on my blog - yes, I found the caramel syrup in the baking aisle, next to the fudge/chocolate syrup. Go purchase some!! :0)

Alicia said...

Uh, somehow I've missed this recipe in Vcon... How could I? It looks great, and uses my beloved soba noodles!

Katy said...

I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can try that soup. The kale looks like a great addition!

Anonymous said...

I love soba noodles, they're so chewy. But I've never tried them in a soup before. I'll definitely give it a shot since I am now in possession of that cookbook!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I have always wanted to make this dish... it looks wonderfully comforting!!

Avery Yale Kamila said...

That looks so delicious! What a great idea to add the kale!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Mmm... this looks like a turn the bowl up to sip the last drops kind of soup!

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to make this soup also!! I have to wait until winter, though-it's 113 degrees right now. Soo not soup weather!

Anonymous said...

You and your soup when it's 90 degrees outside! You're certifiably crazy, yo. However, having said that, I would not turn down a bowl of that soup right now no matter the temperature - it looks so good!

Thanks for the link to your friend's blog, too! I checked it out and his food looks yum. Us Memphis veg heads have to stick together!

We missed you at the lunch on Saturday (don't believe anything Vaughan tells you!). I will definitely be there Thursday - I hear we're going to have smoothies!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not sick! :) I have been meaning to make this, I'm glad you did, gives me more motivation!

Anonymous said...

The kale definitely looks like an awesome addition here...
*drools*

Erin said...

I've heard nothing but good reviews about that soup! I think I'll wait till it's a bit cooler to try it though.