Monday, June 23, 2008

Personal Potluck

So I was supposed to drop by a potluck last night, but I spent the day hanging with my parents at the Memphis Botanic Gardens and the Pink Palace Museum (a museum of Memphis history and some science-y stuff, like dinosaurs). By the time we were done walking the massive garden grounds, I was pooped.

Lucky for me, I'd already baked a big ol' batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Vegan with a Vengeance to take to the potluck:


Since I didn't go to the potluck, these babies are all mine! Normally, I'd feel fat about that, but these are so darn good, I don't even care if they make me chubby. At least, I don't care until they're all gone. Then, I'll hit the gym super hard or something.

I've been seeing these on other blogs for awhile now, and I've been dying to try them (but I need an excuse, like a potluck, to justify cookie making). By the way, has anyone else noticed a missing ingredient in this recipe? I had to add 1/4 cup soymilk because the dough was way too dry. With the additional soymilk, they turned out great!
On another note, I made a mental note to do a meme from Musings from the Fishbowl a week or so ago. Shellyfish tagged anyone with more than one tattoo, and I've got two, so here goes:

What were you doing five years ago?

I was working as an intern at the Memphis Flyer, the alternative newsweekly where I'm now employed full-time. And I was living in an apartment in Memphis with my ex and our dog (Datsun) and at least one cat (now I have 4).

What are five things on your to-do list for today? (I'm actually doing tomorrow because today is almost over)

1) Make Chickpea Noodle Soup from the Veganomicon
2) Start composing the annual "bar guide" for Memphis Magazine (the Flyer's sister publication)
3) Make pancakes in my new non-stick skillet that I bought today!!!
4) Read the new vintage vegan cookbook that mom's friend bought me at a flea market this past weekend
5) Go to the gym

What are five snacks you enjoy?

1) Those yummy cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance (see picture above)
2) Primal Strips veggie jerky
3) Cherry Tomatoes
4) Spicy Nuts
5) Popcorn with nooch and dried dill (thanks Happy Herbivore on the dill tip)

What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?

1) Open a vegan bakery or restaurant
2) Go to vegan culinary school
3) Give some money to PETA
4) Travel all over the world (Holland, Australia, Japan, London, you name it)
5) Start my own vegan magazine (sorry Veg News...)

What are five of your bad habits?

1) I can be super judgmental.
2) I spend too much time obsessing over getting fat.
3) I spend too much time obsessing over food (see #2).
4) I don't spend enough time on my couch. I should really start watching TV or something.
5) I can't think of a fifth one, which probably means that I also think too highly of myself.

What are five places where you have lived?

I've only lived in two places:

1) Jonesboro, Arkansas
2) Memphis

What are five jobs you’ve had?

1) Journalist
2) Pre-press work for newspaper (on the production end)
3) Photo developer at Wal-Mart
4) Wal-Mart Door Greeter
5) Cashier

Tag! You're it if you ...

1) Don't have cable TV.
2) Have a tongue piercing.
3) Have two or more cats.
4) Prefer cooking to baking.
5) Drive a foreign car.

Just copy this survey into your blog if you meet the above criteria, and don't forget to link back to mine.

18 comments:

J said...

Can't be too upset about missing the potluck when you get to eat all those yummy cookies yourself! You know, you could always share the love and send some to me. ;-)

I love your meme!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Sounds like you still had delicious fun, despite not going to the potluck!! :0)

Love those surveys/memes - they pop up everywhere :0D

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be happy to be with those cookies by myself!! ;-)

Marisa L. S. said...

Those cookies look awesome! I enjoyed your facts!

Alicia said...

Send me some of those cookies! :-)

Vegan_Noodle said...

I noticed the dryness about that cookie dough as well!

Some of your answers are too funny (thinking too highly of yourself...) Sounds like we would do some similar things if we had a billion dollars. Do you know of a vegan culinary program? I think you might have to start one!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hahaha if I had cookies lying around, I would rather eat 'em all myself than bring them to a potluck too!

urban vegan said...

Fun to learn more about you...and who int heir right mind could resist those choco-chippers?

jessy said...

coooooookies! yay! (oh, and they look super stellar!)

and hooray for having them all to yourself! sometimes it's the best to just sit back, veg out, and have an awesome ass cookie!

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with those cookies, always need to add a little liquid. Of course they always turn out tasty too!

Anonymous said...

I had to add some soymilk to those cookies too. I hear if you super duper cream the earth balance you don't have too, but that may be a myth.

thedalyn said...

As much as I love her cookbooks, they could use some better editing. VCON has the same issues: missing ingredients and/or steps. But, still, totally worth it.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I think you have my dream job. The Bar Guide project sounds like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, primal strips rule!!! I love taking them on hikes because then I know I have a tasty treat once I reach the summit. Lucky you to have a friendly neighbor who brings you vegan food! Hmpf! Ummm...what else? Oh yeah, I share your #2 bad habit. Bleh. Cookies rule too!

Anonymous said...

I just realized you did this meme! Excellent (love reading more about my fellow vegan bloggers!). Let me know when you start your vegan mag, I'll send you my CV (accompanied by cookies, of course!)

Anonymous said...

those cookies allllways look like super dry crumbs before you bake them! i've tried adding some soymilk, but usually i just pack the dough in my hands really tight to form balls and that usually keeps them together. some more editing could definitely have been done, but those cookies are by far my favorite chocolate chip cookies! yours look like they came out great!

Veggie said...

I would do all those things too if I were a billonaire.

Erin said...

That cookie dough is a bit dry for me too, but I normally just force them into cookie shape since they don't spread. I always reduce the salt in the recipe too. I'll do the survey if I have time later tonight!