Monday, January 20, 2020

Health Made Simple for Athletes, Days 12-13

Friday morning on Health Made Simple started with my usual bootcamp workout at my downtown gym. I fueled with a coconut Larabar and then had a banana immediately after my workout for carbs. About an hour later, I had a Greens Fruit Flax smoothie with apple, spinach, banana, flax, and the last of my Complement protein powder. Luckily, I have another bag in the mail! This unsweetened protein powder is amazing.

Morning snack was Baked Corn Chips with Salsa made in the air fryer with lightly oiled corn tortillas. Yes, that's a tiny rubber ducky on my desk at work.


Lunch was leftover Veggie Tofu Stir-fry (pictured in my last post), and my afternoon snack was another bowl of fresh fruit (but I didn't add flax this time since there was flax in my smoothie).

Dinner was fun! The Health Made Simple plan called for Veggie Burger Tostadas on Friday night using one of the healthier burger patties, like Dr. Praeger's (I used the kale burgers). You cut up strips of veggie burger and toast them with vegan cheese on a tortilla, and then top with ketchup or mustard or whatever burger toppings you like. I just had ketchup on mine, plus a side of Baked Potato with Salsa. This plan is low on processed stuff, but I like that it still includes it sometimes!


On Saturday morning, Paul came to town and we planned a 16-mile run (well, 8 miles for him, 16 for me). So I fueled with my usual white bread Plain Bagel with Hummus.


Mid-run, I snacked on a chocolate Clif gel, a sesame rice ball, and some medjool dates. Post-run, I had this Tart Cherry Chocolate Smoothie with cherry juice, Vega Sport mocha protein powder, and banana.


Earlier that morning, I'd stopped by the Cooper Young Farmers Market for a treat from LuLu's! So I enjoyed my Chocolate Chip Cookie awhile after my run.


We stayed in and watched a movie Saturday night, so I made us the Pasta with Portabella Ragout from the plan for dinner. This simple dish has whole wheat pasta and a homemade sauce of diced tomatoes, garlic, herbs, onion, and portabella. I'd also picked up some olive bread from LuLu's, and that was really lovely on the side. Not pictured is my usual dinner salad.


1 comment:

Hillary said...

A burger tostada sounds so fun! This definitely looks like a realistic plan with a little wiggle room, which I think is important!