Thursday, January 16, 2020

Health Made Simple for Athletes, Day 10 (plus donuts!)

Wednesday started with a 6-mile fartlek run (that's speedwork!), fueled by a PB&J Larabar (the best flavor!). After my run, I had my usual post-run bowl of white rice with soy sauce and sesame seeds. Then about an hour later, I had my first meal on Health Made Simple — a Greens Fruit Flax Smoothie with apple, spinach, banana, flax, and Complement Protein powder.


Morning snack was DONUTS!!!!! Sooooo not on the plan, but my co-worker Lily has started a vegan donut company, Darling Donuts, and she occasionally brings new flavors to the office for us to try. This time, she brought pistachio, candied ginger, and king cake. Of course I had to try all three, so I had half of the pistachio and a fourth of the other two. All were amazing! If you're local, look up @darlingdonutsmemphis on Instagram!


Of course, I felt the effects of all that sugar pretty much immediately. But it was so worth it! I wouldn't want to feel like that every day, but it's okay sometimes.

A couple co-workers and I had plans to meet one of my former co-workers for lunch at Global Café in Crosstown Concourse (where we work), and I wasn't at all hungry yet (thanks to the donuts). But I ordered this Vegan Fasolia and enjoyed it anyway! This is a Syrian dish with seared green beans and rice, and it's very tasty.


I had both of my snacks together in the afternoon (since the donuts took the place of my usual morning snack). This Fruit Bowl and Wasa Crackers with Cauliflower Hummus tided me over through a post-work meeting.


When I got home, I stuck another potato in the microwave and topped it with pinto beans, salsa, cilantro, nooch, scallions, and jalapenos (the same dinner from the night before!) and enjoyed with a salad with Oil-Free Hemp Vinaigrette (a Health Made Simple dressing recipe made with hemp seeds and spices).


1 comment:

Hillary said...

I absolutely love stuffed baked potatoes! They're the perfect vessel for whatever!
I have never heard of Fasolia, but now I desperately need to try it!