Thursday, September 15, 2016

Java Chip FitQuick Protein Coffee Cake!

You know what's awesome? Cake for breakfast, that's what. And while I've certainly eaten a giant hunk of buttercream-covered layer cake for breakfast a time or two (okay, more like a bunch of times, but whatever), I don't really feel good about starting the day on a sugar high. But when that cake can actually be healthy and delicious?! YES!


Y'all know I love the Rise & Resist podcast — a fitness/feminism/vegan podcast by co-hosts Holly Noll and Lacy Davis — right? And through that podcast, I discovered Fitquick protein waffles, a quick mix that Holly creates and sells on the Vegan Proteins website (and soon, as announced in a recent podcast, in many more places!). FitQuick is a gluten-free, soy-free waffle and pancake mix with 22 grams of plant-based protein, meaning it's perfect for post-run (or any post-workout) recovery.

I typically make waffles with my FitQuick since, you know, it's waffle mix. But on a recent episode of Rise & Resist, Holly mentioned that she'd created a coffee cake with FitQuick mix, and she gave some loose instructions for how to do it at home. Of course, I grabbed some paper and a pen and jotted everything down to recreate as soon as possible. I didn't follow her recipe exactly (she used Vanilla FitQuick and fresh figs and pluots), but I used hers as a guide to create my own recipe for Java Chip FitQuick Protein Coffee Cake.


This cake is soft and moist, just like a cake should be. The chocolate chips give it extra melty sweetness, and the oat crumble lends some texture. Because I used the Java Chip mix, it has a great coffee flavor that pairs well with a hot cup of coffee. Coffee pairs with coffee, right? I added So Delicious CocoWhip Light on top because every cake deserves to be topped with something creamy and cold. Here's my recipe!

Java Chip FitQuick Protein Coffee Cake

Yields 1 serving

2 scoops FitQuick Java Chip waffle and pancake mix
1/2 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp. chocolate chips
1/4 cup oats
1/2 tbsp. brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. chickpea flour
1 tsp. melted vegan margarine
Vegan whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and spray a small 5-inch cake pan or oven-safe ramekin with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, mix the FitQuick mix and plant milk. Set aside for two minutes. After two minutes, fold in the chocolate chips.

In a separate bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, flour, maple syrup, chickpea flour, and vegan margarine. 

Pour the cake mix into the prepared pan. Top evenly with oat crumble mix. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and then top with whipped topping or ice cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! That same episode I took Lacy's one rep snack advise and made up a small jar of oats & protein powder (I added almond milk and unsweetened carob chips instead of her chia seeds and banana) as a replacement to eating a bar at work when I need something fast and easy to consume, it was such an obvious solution to my dilemma with most bars being too sweet but having the protein I want... apart from just eating a chunk of tofu I guess... Rise & Resist is awesome! I just finished the latest episode on coping with pressure. So much good advise those two have!

Bianca said...

Veganvarg, I was actually planning to try that snack after my run tomorrow! Glad to know it's awesome! I typically have smoothies or waffles (or now coffee cake haha!) after runs, but on Saturdays, I'm usually on the go and need something portable after my workout.