Sunday, February 28, 2016

Kite Hill's Vegan Cheesecake is AMAZING

I know I've told y'all before, but I have a little food hoarding problem. I like to buy things I don't need, stock them in the pantry, fridge, or freezer, and just look at them for a couple weeks before I open them. I take great joy in dreaming about when I'll finally eat them and how awesome it's gonna be. And then, I wait for JUST THE RIGHT TIME. When I do finally eat that chocolate bar or raw food tart or frozen vegan pizza, it tastes so much better because I've spent all that time anticipating eating it.

Yea, I know it sounds batshit crazy, especially when I type it all out. But whatever. That's exactly what happened with this Kite Hill Ricotta Cheesecake.


I've had this cheesecake since November. But I just ate it today. Let me explain: So my mama and I picked up a couple of these at Whole Foods on Black Friday. We stopped there after we did our holiday sale shopping, and Whole Foods had just gotten these cute little single-serving vegan cheesecakes in. They were frozen, so when I got it home, I just popped it in the freezer.


Well, December happened, and cookies and candies and holiday treats were everywhere. And I figured I'd rather save my cheesecake for a time when I wasn't bombarded with treats. And then January happened, and I did that month-long, no-sugar cleanse. So cheesecake was obviously out of the question then. After my cleanse, I was all doughnuts and ice cream and cupcakes. And here we are at the end of February, and I just ate this cheesecake. But you know what? It was soooooo worth the wait.

This is THE BEST VEGAN CHEESECAKE I've ever had. It's made with Kite Hill's almond ricotta, and it has a very authentic cheesecake flavor. Despite the fact that I do enjoy cheesecakes made with Tofutti or Daiya cream cheese, the flavor just isn't quite the same as a dairy cheesecake. But this little cake was just perfect. And it was just the right size. Like a cheesecake in a cupcake size.


I was prepared to eat it plain, because I do love unadorned cheesecake. But at the last minute, right before I was about to load the first delicious bite into my mouth, I got a hankering for a strawberry topping. I had some frozen strawberries, so I added three to a small saucepan with about two teaspoons of sugar and a 1/4 cup water. I cooked them down to thaw and smooshed them up with a fork. And then I whisked in about a teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken.

I served the warm strawberry topping over my cool cheesecake. Mmmmmmmm.


Totally worth the three-month wait! Now I need to head back to Whole Foods (Kite Hill is making these exclusively for Whole Foods) and stock up on another, so I can save  it to eat in, say, May. ;-)

5 comments:

Babette said...

I tend to load up on things I don't need too, but it is a bit ridiculous, become I spend too much money on food and it is not as fresh when the time comes to eating it. I'm trying to correct myself and not buy something I'm not planning on eating in the coming week, unless I'm at a store I don't go to often, but I totally understand how fun it is to buy something really exciting and to wait before digging in. I mean, once it's opened and eaten, the fun is gone!

I still haven't had the chance to try anything by Kite Hill. But I did make a ricotta cheesecake from Vegan Eats World this past month. It's topped with strawberries and balsamic vinegar.

Susan said...

I am such a hoarder... though I tend to hoard for much longer than a couple of weeks... or even a couple of months. ;) I am starting to make myself use up products I have stashed away... and I am trying not to buy too many new things until I do.

This cheesecake sounds great. I have heard so many good things about Kite Hill, but sadly have never had the chance to try them.

Hillary said...

Wow, I didn't even know Kite Hill was making cheesecake! I can't wait to try it I also like that it comes in single serve sizes.

Tamara said...

My mom just traveled to Florida and bought back (Bahamas) my Kite Hill's haul... ricotta, ravioli. If only I had known about this cheesecake! Next time.

foodfeud said...

Ahh i saw this on yr instagram and was immediately drooling. I wish i had yr patience with food! I'd probably eat the whole thing as soon as i bought it, even half-frozen, haha.
anyway, looks amazing - especially with the topping. I haven't had Daiya or Tofutti cheesecake (unless they serve it at some restaurant that i didn't know about) but i'll keep an eye out for this one.