Monday, July 7, 2014

Coconut Maple Bacon Smoothie

Yes, I did. And it was amazing.


That, my friends, is a Coconut Maple Bacon Smoothie. And I'm sad to say that it wasn't my original idea because I wish I'd thought of this first. But the fine folks over at Vega beat me to it.

I keep a board on Pinterest called Smooth(ie) Playa, where I pin smoothie recipes, mostly from the Vega website. I drink three to four protein smoothies a week for breakfast, so I'm constantly looking for new ideas.

Sure, I could come up with my own recipes. But it's much easier to have someone else do the thinking for me, as I've done with this Coconut Maple Bacon Smoothie. I stumbled across this recipe while pinning other smoothies in the Vega Recipe Center.

Their recipe actually includes a recipe to make homemade maple bacon, but I already had some Phoney Baloney Coconut Maple Bacon in my pantry, so I used that instead. The rest of the smoothie is Vega One All-in-One Nutritional Shake Natural Flavor, So Delicious Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt, Diamond Breeze Unsweetened Coconut Milk, maple syrup, and half a frozen banana. I did cut the maple syrup in the recipe quite a bit. They called for three tablespoons in one smoothie, and that seemed like too much, especially calorie-wise. And I added an extra half-cup of almond milk because I like big smoothies.

The coconut bacon gives the smoothie a salty sweetiness that tastes like pancakes topped with bacon and maple syrup. Yum!