Monday, July 10, 2023

Vegan Spam!

As I've mentioned in a few posts lately, Sprouts recently had a ton of vegan meats on close-out, and one of those was the OmniPork Luncheon (aka vegan spam). It was regularly priced for about $8 a package, which always seemed too much. So I never bought it. But then it was marked down to $2 a pack, so I grabbed some. Now I'm sad I only got one.

I know spam gets a bad rap. But I remember enjoying Spam as a kid. Truth be told, I was a fan of most potted meats I tried. I LOVED Vienna sausages, too. So, maybe I'm just a weirdo. But I remember really liking Spam. 


That said, I didn't really remember how I ate Spam. Straight from the can? On sandwiches? I don't remember. But I have some weird inkling of a memory of eating Spam Hash. So I decided I'd try some that way. 


I first browned the luncheon meat and sampled a bite on its own. It was good! Very salty and quite greasy. And though I can't remember exactly what Spam tasted like, I think this is similar. Then I fried some potatoes with onions and peppers and added back the diced luncheon meat. This was good! 

I have a couple slices of OmniPork left, and I think I'm going to try using it in sushi. It's not something I'd want to eat often, as it's very processed. But I love a good treat like this. And good news: It seems Sprouts wasn't totally getting rid of the product. I noticed a few weeks later than they had the same thing in new packaging, so I suspect the product underwent a rebrand and that's why it was marked down.

1 comment:

Susan said...

This just reminded me I have some of this in my freezer, I also got it on super sale. I really need to use it up.