Thursday, July 6, 2023

Food and Fun with Greg!

Long-time readers of this blog might remember my friend Greg. He used to live Memphis, and we did everything together. But he moved to Kentucky about eight years ago, and now I only see him once a year or so. He came to visit this past week for the 4th of July, and we packed a ton into about five days.

On Saturday night, we met up with our friend Andy, who just had a birthday, for a birthday drag show at Dru's Place.

And on Sunday, we had brunch at RP Tracks with friends Vaughan and Nicole.

The Veggie Rooster on RP Tracks' brunch menu is vegan if you leave off the cheese. It has tofu scram, vegan sausage, and coconut bacon, and it's served with toast. I also had a couple of Salty Dogs. RP Tracks' brunch cocktails are just $4.50!

After brunch, we stopped by to visit with our friend Shara, who has been house-sitting and caring for some backyard chickens. These little babies were so sweet. Our favorite was Pancake, the super social hen in the foreground. She followed us around and let us pet her. 

The next day, Monday, was my day off work for the holiday. For complicated reasons that are too boring to explain here, I work a few hours on almost every holiday, but I'm always off the day before the holiday. So Greg and I decided to go kayaking on the Wolf River.

We packed a little picnic of Pasta Salad, Veggies & Hummus, and Chips and kayaked to Memphis Beach — the small sandy beach on the Wolf River — to spread out our blanket.

Here's my picnic plate!

Later that night, we went to the free Memphis fireworks show at Liberty Park. Paul, who spent most of the weekend working (and sleeping because he works a million hours a week) got to join us for this outing. And then after the official show, we had our own mini show with some fireworks that Greg brought along. 

Tuesday was actual Fourth of July, but I had to work for a few hours. So I got my work done in the morning, and we spent the afternoon grilling. We made Veggie & Tofu Kabobs, Grilled Corn, Oyster Mushrooms, and Asparagus. And I had some leftover pasta salad.

Wednesday was Greg's last full day in town, and I had to work all day. But when I got off, we headed to Imagine Vegan Cafe for one last dinner. 

I got the new Buffalo Fish Sandwich, which is made with Gardein fish covered in buffalo sauce, coleslaw, and tartar sauce. It sounds weird, but it was good! 

No comments: